Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Timothy Dineen DSM

edwin astill

Although I use the 'army' bits of the forum I am 'all at sea' with this one. My wife recently acquired papers relating to her Grandfather - Timothy Dineen - who it appears got the DSM on 1st oct. 1917 for "Minelaying services". His Certificate of Service (back page badly faded - inner pages OK) says that he was serving on the Princess Margaret from 9 March 1915 to 20 Jan 1920. His papers say that he was "Mentioned for Minelaying Services" (2 Feb 1917). I know a thread in 2006 discussed the Princess Margaret, but if any one has any information relating to the 'mention' and the DSM that would be great.

Prior to the Princess M his war service was on the Naiad. His papers also say that on 12 Dec. 1920 he was "Recommended for (looks like) R.I.R - does anyone have an idea as to what this was? If it is something that only an army wallah would not know, but if I draw a blank I could send in a scan.

If anything else of interest crops up I post it.

Thanks to all

Edwin

Recommended for R.F.R. is the usual phrase.

There are indeed 2 mentions in London Gazette:

Admiralty, 1st October, 1917.

The KING has further been graciously

pleased to give orders for the following appointments

to the Distinguished Service Order and

for the award of the decorations specified below'

to the undermentioned: —

To receive the Distinguished Service Medal.

P.O. Timothy Dineen, O.N. 194221 (Po.).

Admiralty, 16th February, 1917.

The following officers and men have been

mentioned in despatches: —

P.O. Timothy Dineen, O.N. 194221 (Po.).

I suspect "recommended for RIR" is RFR ie Royal Fleet Reserve

Best

Dom

You can probably find the original Admiralty file dealing with the background to both awards using the ADM 12 indexes thread this way -->

The Admiralty copy of his service register is free to download at Kew or £3.50 on the net

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=1

Name Dineen, Timothy

Official Number: 194221

Place of Birth: Threelane Kilmaerber, Cork

Date of Birth: 10 December 1880

He entered service in 1897 so might have been at the Diamond Jubilee Spithead Review as he was a Portsmouth hand, and also served at the time of several colonial wars, you'll need to cross check whether the ships he was on qualified.

Thanks to all. The ornate I in RIR does look like a cramped F - so RFR it is. Wondered what he would be doing going to the Royal Irish Rifles! As I mentioned in another thread some time back, this chap retired to run a sweetie shop in Skibereen but his RN connection may have made him unpopular with the local 'patriots' in the 20's.

Edwin

"He entered service in 1897 so might have been at the Diamond Jubilee Spithead Review as he was a Portsmouth hand, and also served at the time of several colonial wars, you'll need to cross check whether the ships he was on qualified."

Thanks again. The front page list medals - DSM, LS&GC, 14-15 Star, War and Victory. Also says "Paid ?GC? Gratuity" (date 12 Sept 1919). Also got paid £20 Naval Prize Fund May 192? with a "Final Share a bit later on. His first ship was the Impregnable - joining date unclear, but left 9 Aug 1899. He was then Boy 2nd Class.

Edwin

Edwin,

Information on;

Boy 2nd Class

Kings Regulations and Admiralty Instructions 1913 Vol II Chapter XV

b. (Age. previous service and other qualifications required.) Over 15¾, under 16¾ ; height and chest measurements are subject to variation from time to time according to directions from the Admiralty. He must produce a certificate of birth, or a declaration made by his parents or guardians before a Magistrate to show that. he is of the proper age ; also, the consent in writing of his parent or guardian; or nearest relative if he be an orphan, to his entering the Navy, and to his engaging to serve until he shall have completed 12 years' Continuous Service from the age of 18.

c. (Nature of examination.) Able to read and write. The lowest test is that he shall be able to read a passage from Standard II Reading Book (New Code) ; to write a passage of not more than six lines from the same book, slowly read once, and then dictated word by word ; and to sign his name legibly. If he does not quite reach the standard of height and measurement, he may, if in all other respects desirable, be entered with the special permission of the Inspecting Captain of Boys' Training Ships.

Regards Charles