Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Territorial Force (recruitment)

Steve Bramley

Hi All,

I have a newspaper list of men from September 1914. It is broken down into five categories.

1. List for foreign service. Which is, I assume those who signed the ISO.

2. National Reservists

3. New Recruits (to bring up to war strength)

4. Home service. Men who did not sign the ISO and went on to form 2nd line Batn.

5. National Reservists for home service.

I was under the impression that at this time anyone who did not sign the ISO went automatically into the 2nd line Batn. for home service?

What was the role of National reservist in this case.

It is interesting that several of the men from point 2 were actually wounded with the 1st line Batn, within 3 months of that Batn. crossing overseas!!

Were these men later persuaded, or had a change of heart regarding the ISO?

Unfortunately, of these above men I have no date as to when they embarked overseas,

Regards,

Steve.

Hi Steve,

Could you please send me a personal message & explain how the role of 2nd Battalion worked? did they supply the 1st Battalion? Also what was the ISO?

my Great Grandfather, i have since found out, was transferred to the 2/4 Lincolnshire Regiment on 19/07/1916 according to his service papers from the National Archives, whilst serving with the 2/4 Lincolns he was wounded, gunshot wound to the arm 20/04/1917. so what action would he have likely to be involved in, would he have been posted to the 1/4 Lincs?

Please excuse me for being naive.

Thanks.

Joel.

Steve,

I wonder if the National Reservists had previously decided on their liability for overseas service. Hence them being a seperate class from pre-war ISO men.

With 4th Lincs, a large number of their National Reservists went to France in Mar 1915.

If you give me their names, happy to look-up in the 1914-15 Star Roll.

Jim

Hi Joel,

Are you saying that GF was originally a regular with the 2nd Battalion, then later transferred to the 2/4th?

Do you mind telling me his name. I'll try and PM you tomorrow, but Jim above may be better able to help fill in some details as he's a true 4th Batn man :D

Hi Jim, hows things, still doing nights? I'll get back to you tomoprrow, hopefully.

Cheers,

Steve.

Steve,

Maybe this will be of use to you, written by Captain R.C. Bridgeman, M.C.

In response to Lord Robert's appeals, the National Reserve was formed in the years just before the War. Every man with previous military service of any kind was eligible, and all who enrolled undertook an honourable obligation to serve in the event of war; thus in August 1914 large numbers of old soldiers joined up throughout the country.

At first their duties were ill-defined. They were not uniformed or armed and they began by combining with the Police in guarding railways, bridges and such vulnerable points, in anticipation of sabotage which, in the event, was frustrated by the very efficient round up of German agents on the outbreak of War.

Gradually the duties of the National Reservists became more military. They were recognized by the War Office of 17th August 1914, and on the 22nd August were attested and appointed to Home Defence Companies which were supernumerary to the eight Service Companies of their local Territorial Battalions. This arrangement was not an ideal one, and as the Territorial Divisions moved from their peace stations to the theatres of war, these companies, with no higher organization, were scattered throughout the kingdom. They were too numerous for the protective duties required, for by this time it was clear that the War would not be fought on this side of the Channel; they also included a large number of those who were capable of playing a more active part.

Thus it was that on 29 July 1915 the War Office decided to concentrate a number of these companies at Halton Park - near Tring - now the Royal Air Force Depot - and form them into Garrison Battalions, withdrawing all fit men and sending those unfit for any duty overseas to existing Home Service Provisional Battalions.

Brig.-General E.W.S. Stone, C.B., was appointed to command at Halton, and the ex National Reservists - each draft with a proper quota of Officers and N.C.O.'s began to arrive, bringing their "equiment and carbine." They were classified by age as - Under 40; 40-45; over 45 years, those being under 40 drafted, if fit and willing, to units finding drafts for overseas, and of the remainder, all who were willing to take the Imperial Service obligation were ordered into "T.F. Provisional Battalions, for service at home and abroad if required." They were to be called "Foreign Service T.F. Provisional Battalions.

Seven battalions in all were thus formed, from every Territorial Infantry Regiment in the kingdom; the Guards, 60th Rifles and The Rifle Brigade were the only ones not represented, for since they had no territorial areas, no National Reservists had been affiliated with them.

In these circumstances it was a difficult problem for the War Office to decide what regiments should adopt these battalions. It was administratively desirable that they should have a common Record Office and Paymaster; correspondence between the various branches of the War Office waxed furious till the Director of Personal Services suggested the Gilbertian solution that either the 60th Rifles or The Rifle Brigade, having no claim to any, should adopt them all. Eventually they were allotted to The Rifle Brigade; and the City of London Territorial Association agreed to assume responsibilty for their administration.

Andy

There is some more to this piece but mainly to do with The Rifle Brigade.

If you would like a copy of this PM me your e mail and I will send a scan to you.

I should add that there were men originally from so many different regiments in the seven battalions. Their medal rolls are quite an eyeopener with the original regiments and numbers listed in many many cases.

Andy

Jim,

I have sent you the list.

Stiletto and Charles,

Thanks for the information (very interesting) and the link, also v.interesting.

With a little more delving it would seem that the men in point 2. were perhaps time served TF who then signed back on?

Those in point 5. that have MIC's would have appeared to have gone on to serve in other Lincs service battalions. I'm not sure if these fit into the resons that you have both given?

Steve :blink: