Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Naval examinations

Chris_Baker

I am nowhere near as used to reading naval service records as I am army ones, and a reference I can see on an officers papers has got me stumped. It seems to be to do with an examination in Hindustani.

It looks like 'Sat ab aug Hindustani'. There are two references, one in October 1918 and another in 1919. There first has "(a)" beyween aug and Hindustani.

Any ideas, sailors?

Chris,

Can you scan it, or give some more information i.e which part of the record is it recorded on, what other info is recorded prior or after, what was his rank/rate at the time?

Hi Chris,

As of this month all RN service certificates have now become obsolete and I have just been given mine which spans some 29 years (not quite parchment). The back page is titled Assesment of Naval Character and Efficiency. This should be split into 5 columns reading Naval Character, Efficiency in Rating, Rating, Date, Captains Signature.

So yours should probably have a VG (Very Good) (meaning never been in the poo!)in front of the Sat (Sat=satisfactory), AB=Able Rate, Not sure on the Aug as it should have a date but he may have only been on that ship for the month of August in that year. The Hidustani should be the Captains signature. It will not (should not) be the ship as these are detailed on page 2 and 3.

If you display the scan or e mail me at home address I'll have a look

JJ

He could be qualified as as an interpreter in Hindustani.

Many naval officers qualified as Interpreters & this qualification(s) is noted in the Navy Lists of the period.

Bryan (RNCVR)