Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help in finding a location

tomstorrow

Hi. I'm new to the Forum, although I've visited as a guest a few times prior to joining.

I've been researching some of my family who served in 1914-18, especially my grandfather and his brother. They joined the RFA in 1915 and served mainly in Belgium and France. The brother died of wounds in Sept 1918 near Ypres and I've visited his grave a couple of times. I've also got copies of the War Diaries for his unit and I know roughly where he was wounded and where he was treated and buried. What I need some help/advice on is translating the War Diary map reference into a reference for a modern map of Belgium or a GPS reference. Does anyone out there have any clever ideas or can point me in the right direction on this?

Many thanks for reading this - and for any advice you can give me.

Tom

Hi Tom,

Welcome to the forum, Im sure you'll find it as much help as I have.

Sorry I cant help you with your quest, but not to worry as I'm sure one of the guys who can will be along shortly.

Again, welcome.

Regards, Womo

Hi Tom...welcome to the forum... :D

sounds like you've done most of the hard work already, it would also appear that we are on a very similar quest to find our Gunners. Sadly I don't have the maps to help with the co-ordinates, have you seen here on the Mother site. There are a couple of map guru's on the forum who have been of great assistance and placed my RFA Bty's on the map , sure they'll be along soon, good luck,

cheers, Jon :D

Tom.

what are the map references that you have?

Dave

Hi,

Thanks very much to all of you who have replied so quickly and positively - and for the welcome to the Forum.

My grandfather's brother was in 65th Battery, RFA, part of 28 Army Brigade, RFA. The battery is stated as being at Stavele on Sept 27 1918 and the War Diary gives this as Sheet 20, T5b. On 28th, they advanced to Houthulst Forest supporting an advance by the Belgian 7th Division, and the diary gives two references: Sheet 20, O22d and O28b. It appears that he was one of the casualties when the gun positions were hit by 2 shells, presumably at one or other of these references. He died of his wounds from the shelling and is buried at Railway Dugouts, which is some way from Houthulst Forest - I've assumed that the dressing station there was the closest British facility, but I suppose he could have died elsewhere and been buried later at Railway Dugouts - anyone got any other ideas based upon your greater knowledge of the medical practices then?

Thanks again for all of your encouragement and help!

Best wishes,

Tom

Tom.

Sheet 20 T5 b... (a few miles east of Houthulst forest)

post-357-1177482143.jpg

...O22d and O28b...(northern Houthulst forest)..

post-357-1177482462.jpg

I'll add a scan later today (after I finally get to bed!!!) of these locations on one 1:20,000 scale map so you can work out exactly where these locations are.

dave

I'll add a scan later today of these locations on one 1:20,000 scale map so you can work out exactly where these locations are.

...just read your original post - i'll add a modern equivalent too.

Dave

Dave,

You are a star - thank you very much! I can see what the guys meant when they referred to you as the Guru!

I'm revisiting the Ieper area in July (we're taking our sons and a couple of friends to Center Parcs in Normandy, but I insisted on detours on the way out via the Somme area and on the way back via the Salient) so this info is priceless in planning where we'll go.

Our family name is Storrow - there aren't many of us, so tracing relatives via CWGC, etc, has been fairly straightforward. On the way out this year we'll go and visit distant great-great cousin Victor Storrow's grave in Frankfurt Trench above Beaumont Hamel, and then great uncle Richard's in Railway Dugouts near Ieper. I can now start to plan to see the area where Richard was wounded as part of our trip, so thanks again.

Best wishes,

Tom

...just read your original post - i'll add a modern equivalent too.

Dave

Tom...

The two areas in relation to each other...

Dave.

(PS - you'll have to wait until tomorrow for the modern NGI map equivalents (my dad's nicked them!!!! :D )

post-357-1177530506.jpg

Dave,

Thanks again. It's interesting to see the two locations in relation to each other as the War Diary states that they commenced a barrage from the first position at 0230 on 28th Sept (in support of Belgian 7 Div) and then moved forward to the second position during the morning, firing from there at 1530, "having been held up" en route.

Best wishes,

Tom

Tom...

The two areas in relation to each other...

Dave.

(PS - you'll have to wait until tomorrow for the modern NGI map equivalents (my dad's nicked them!!!! :D )

Tom.

As promised - the locations today....

Dave,

Thanks again - that's brilliant. We'll be staying at the B&B at Varlet Farm, which isn't too far from those locations.

I hope that our paths will cross again on the Forum, but I will also send you a PM in the summer after we've visited, to tell you more.

I'm really grateful - Tom

Tom.

As promised - the locations today....