Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st Gunner William A Scott , Torpedo Boat 14

eltoro1960

Trying to solve a riddle here, this man from Newtongrange appears in a 1915 edition of my local paper claiming to have fired the first torpedo of the engagment. A couple of weeks later there was a retraction of sorts which makes me think that he was 'economical with the truth'. Can anyone assist with details, I don't see to be to find his record online anywhere - not doing terribly well I'm afraid :(

Thanks

"You are not fortunate enough to have his second name or no.?

Kevin"

Unfortunately not, only the initial A , he is listed as William A Scott on the 1920 elctoral roll as well I'm afraid.

John

John,

According to the OH the first torpedo was fired by the M class destroyer Meteor at 11.20 am at the Blucher (missed), and the next to fire torpedos was the Arethusa, which claimed two hits.

As the Battle of Dogger Bank was a Fleet Action it is very doubtful that the TB 14 was anywhere near. The TBs limited their activity to paricipation with local defence patrol flotillas.

Best wishes

David

Thanks for the replies folks, The Dalkeith Advertiser seems to echo the sentiment that he was not there, something along the lines of 'it would appear that this was most certainly not the case". I think William had a few too many beers one night :rolleyes: . I would not fancy going into open water in one of those torpedo boats , they look like death traps.

Found this description of his ship

Torpedo Boat 14, 1907

Type: Torpedo Boat ; Armament 2 - 12 pdr., 3 - 18 inch tubes

Launched : 26 Sep 1907 ; Disposal date or year : 1920

Disposal Details : Sold

BM: tons ; Displacement: 270 tons

Propulsion: 3 screws Complement: 39

Machinery notes: H.P. 4000 = 26 kts. Parsons turbine. 3 screws s. Oil : 50 - 53 / 42 - 45 tons. ; Speed ; 26 knots ;

Notes:

All "oily wad" T.B. 1 - 36 now have pole mainmast and openings under fore bridge screened in.

Aug 1914 A part of 7th Flotilla at Devonport and tender to Leander.

post-12171-1177354264.jpg

Must confess she looks bigger than I expected.