Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

2nd battalion W Yorks

tracyej

Hi

I'm new to this so apologies for my complete lack of knowledge.

I have today received a copy of my great grandfather's marriage cert and find that his occupation is listed as Lance Corporal in the 2nd Battalion West Yorkshire Regiment. The date of the marriage was 10 Sept 1915 and his name is Richard Cameron Lockhart.

I know very little about this man and am thrilled to have found out even this little snippet of info but I would welcome any suggestions on how to find out more about the man himself, his time in the army and some more about the his battalion and regiment.

I asked my Mum if she new anything about his military history and all she could tell me was that they used to refer to "three stripes and a crown" in her family when talking about him. Can anyone shed any light on that for me please?

Many thanks

Tracy

Hi Tracy,

This might be him. This is a Medal Index Card (MIC), which can be downloaded from the National Archives for £3.50.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=4

I can't find any MICs under the name of Richard Cameron etc for West Yorkshires, however, that doesn't mean that's not correct as his medal card may have been lost.

This is a link to help you:

http://www.1914-1918.net/grandad/grandad.htm

But some of the questions I have are did he survive the war? Do you have anything like a service number to go on?

These can help to narrow it down.

Steve

Hi Steve

Thanks for those links

I have downloaded the MIC and yes, that could be him. I'll need to research some more I guess.

He did survive the war and lived until at least 1923 when my grandmother was born. I don't have much more information, such as service numbers etc, however I think he was born approx 1886 and he married a munitions worker in 1915 in Bradford.

I'd love to find out more about him because he is somewhat of an enigma in our family tree.

Best regards

Tracy

Hi Steve

Thanks for those links

I have downloaded the MIC and yes, that could be him. I'll need to research some more I guess.

If you have the copy of the MIC, and you think it's him, what does it tell you? Can you post the MIC on the forum?

Steve

If you have the copy of the MIC, and you think it's him, what does it tell you? Can you post the MIC on the forum?

Steve

Hi Steve

I'll have a go at posting it on the forum.......I hope it works.

I'm not sure it tells me much actually... I've tried to understand the abbreviations with the help of the guide on the National Archives site but I can't make them out.

Tracy

post-20737-1177234722.gif

Hi Tracey, If you're interested in finding out what things were like for your great grandfather you might find the book Twelve Days on the Somme interesting. It is the memoir of an officer in the 2nd Battalion West Yorkshire regiment. Here's the Amazon Link

Ken

Hello Tracy. Welcome.

There is always a slim chance that Richard Lockhart is mentioned in the the Bradford National Roll of Honour. Maybe one of the members who owns a copy would be good enough to check.

Cheers,

Dave

His date of entry sort of tallys with the W Yorks date of entry. They are listed as having landed in France on the 5th Nov 14.

Steve

I'm confused. the MIC is to a man in the Yorkshire regt. how is this tying in with 2nd Bn West Yorkshire Regiment?

Mick

Like I said it's possible that this is not even the right man. If he's listed as West Yorks on the wedding certificate, then it's possible that this is the wrong MIC.

These were the only ones that I could find with that surname and none of them fit:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...mp;mediaarray=*

In fact these are the only Lockharts I can find with any reference to Yorkshire in their regiment:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...mp;mediaarray=*

The GH man is the closest match, but there's a good possibility it's not him. I think this man is a replacement for the 2nd GH which had lost 70% of their strength at 1st Ypres.

Most of this is just me thinking out loud.

Steve

Hi Steve

I'll have a go at posting it on the forum.......I hope it works.

I'm not sure it tells me much actually... I've tried to understand the abbreviations with the help of the guide on the National Archives site but I can't make them out.

Tracy

See this link to help you understand what info you can find on an MIC:

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...line/medals.asp

Or this one on the LLT site:

http://www.1914-1918.net/grandad/grandad6.htm

Steve

Does it give a service number on the marriage certificate? just a thought.

Mick

Does it give a service number on the marriage certificate? just a thought.

Mick

No such luck Mick....

Ken, I've ordered the Twelve Days on The Somme book and should get it sometime next week. Thanks for the suggestion.

Dave, I'll post a request re the Bradford National Roll of Honour and see what turns up. Thanks.

Quick question, am I right in thinking that as he was in the 2nd battalion that he was likely to be a regular before the war?

This great grandfather of mine is proving somewhat elusive so far. I can't find in the 1901 or 1891 census either. I'm glad I've got the marriage certificate or else I may start to wonder whether he existed at all.

Thanks

Tracy

No Lockharts in the Bradford Roll of Honour.

Mick

Quick question, am I right in thinking that as he was in the 2nd battalion that he was likely to be a regular before the war?

Yes, the 2nd Battalion was a regular battalion in the WYR. It was in Malta at the start of hostilities and moved to France and Flanders on the 5th Nov 14.

Steve

General Jack's Diary also tells of 2nd West Yorks; he commanded the Bn from Summer 1916 to Jul 1917