Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Proposed air station at Scarborough

broadtown

I recently drew a record (Air 1/2558) from the PRO on the subject of air stations on the east coast. Dated 19 June 1915 it talks of a proposed air station at Scarborough on the old race course. Now I know this site was used by the navy and was certainly utilised in WWII, however I am not familiar with a full blown station. I was under the impression that a sea plane was stationed at Scalby Mills for a while.

Any thoughts?

Best wishes

Bob

The old racecourse was outside Scarborough at West Ayton and the RNAS station was known by this name.

The station opened in 1916 as an anti Zeppelin base and by 1917 was equipped with B.E 2c aircraft.From October 1918,the base was used by No 510 Flight of No 251 Squadron for anti submarine operations and inshore reconnaissance using D.H.6 aircraft.

The station was open for flying as late as 1928 as the then Prince of Wales is recorded as flying from here after attending a conference at Scarborough.There is no record of the field being used during the last war although it might have been available as an emergency landing ground.

The seaplane base on the beach at Scalby Mills was solely used by Blackburns for trials of the Type L seaplane.This aircraft carried out a number of offshore patrols with the RNAS but early in 1915,the aircraft was written off after it flew into the sea cliffs at Speeton.There is no further record of flying after this time, but apparently, the large hanger which Blackburns built and used existed until the late 1970s.

Nice one Frank, and now the akward bit.

The site traditionally know as the race course at Scarborough is now a GCHQ site overlooking the town. So if my understanding correct I should be considering a site at West Ayton as the site discussed in the letter?

Best wishes

Bob

Ray Sturtivant & Gordon Page Royal Navy Aircraft Serials and Units (Air Britain, Tonbridge. 1992) has maps for air stations at both Scarborough 1916 and West Ayton 1918.

Mick Davis wrote

There were two aerodromes at Scarborough, as well as the Scalby Mills seaplane station. Riggs Head racecourse (grid ref TA 012870) was the original site, used by the RNAS for HD duty from August 1915 to November 1916 and had a single wooden hangar. It flew the usual miscellany of BE2c, Avro 504C, Bleriot XI and came under RNAS Redcar in the RNAS North East Air Defences. The site had seen pre-war use by Henri Salmet on the 1912 'Daily Mail' tour and by 2 Sqn RFC on its return to Montrose from the June 1914 Concentration Camp.

West Ayton (SE 988822) was opened for Marine Operations in August 1918, with the arrival of 505 Flt of 251 Sqn from Greenland Top. The unit had an establishment of six DH6. It was joined by the similarly equipped 510 Flt from Redcar during October, which transferred from 252 to 251 Sqn. Both flights were run down during January 1919. The aerodrome occupied 100 acres and had maximum runs of 840 x 650 yards. It was at 75 feet amsl and was only provided with canvas Bessoneau hangars.

I think this clears the job up nicely.

It turns out my uncle had part of the Ayton site excavated prior to development. (typical Yorkshireman, will only tell you what you actually ask for - never volunteer info!!)

So I will chase the info down.

Best wishes

Bob