Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

29th Stationary Hospital Information

Guest Lynda

Hi

I am trying to find out some info for my dad, who is trying to find out information about his fathers military service. We know he was in Salonica as a Sargeant in the RAMC 29th Stationary Hospital which i believe from this thread treated POW's, and that he was also in Cremona. Is it true that as he was only called up for WW1 that his records would have likely been destroyed in WW2?

Also if anyone has any information I would be very grateful, or even pointed in the right direction, as it would be great to find out more about his time there, and learn more about the people he would have treated and what it was like there (intend to get the book Under the Devil's Eye). His name was Lister Booth, in case anyone has ever heard him mentioned, and he was friends with someone called Croasdell.

Also, I know it is a while since you posted, but I would be very interested to see a map of the hospitals placement, if anyone has a copy?

Thanks in advance

Lynda

Hi Lynda,

Welcome to the Forum.

Lister Booth's Medal card is available for download (£3.50) via the National Achives website.

Lister Booth MIC

Please post the image back here if you can, it may help determine other details.

I believe you have a 40% chance of finding his service record in WO363 (the burnt documents).

Pension claims are in WO364 and ancestry.co.uk has started to show digitised images of these, surnames beginning with A & B are currenly available. This is a subscription service.

You can also search the Medal Index list for Croasdell - I found a few in the RAMC.

In the book Under the Devil's Eye there is a whole chapter on Medical Provision and Hospital Life.

A lot of hospital admissions were due to malaria and dysentery. I can only find references to 28 Stationary Hospital and 29 General Hospital, but the book paints a vivid picture of life in Salonika.

29 Stationary Hospital appears to have been in Cremona, Italy

Hi David

Thanks for that info, I had already seen the MIC and don't think that it shows much more info than we already know - but it is here

http://www.junction36.com/_clients/lynda/booth_l.jpg

Is the only way to find if his service record exists by going to look in the burnt records in PRO? I did read somewhere that you could ask them to look, but if its more likely they don't exist then its not worth the £50 ish they charge for the service.

Thanks, and sorry I am new to all this!

Lynda

Lynda,

Thanks for the image link.

All I can say is that he was NOT entitled to the 14/15 Star so saw active service from 1916.

The roll & page number will direct you to the relevant medal roll at the National Archives.

This roll should confirm his regiment and may give other information.

Depending on how desperate you are - a seach should be made for his service record as you know his service number. Also, if you haven't already discovered, Cremona was part of the lines of communication to Salonika, so it all fits. I'm still a novice myself so I welcome input from more experienced members.

The 29th was one of the first 4 Hospitals (or so) that reach Salonika - along with 4th & 5th Canadian Hosps and 28th Hosp. and was established in the base area not too far from Salonika. Not long are becoming established they were moved to another location shared with the other hospitals. Ironically this was some 1000 yards away from the nearest road of note and patients were manhandled to reach the unit.

• 4 years later...

Dear Linda, I'm writing from Cremona, where was Stationary Hospital 29 from 1917 to the end of WW1

I know that the SH29 was located in a public school named REALDO COLOMBO, existing today. I have a picture of this school: I'm trying any information about Stationary Hospital 29 while it was located in Cremona.

Have you some photos of your dad father during his service as Sergeant in Stationary Hospital in Salonicco and Cremona?

Could you contact me? Best regards and thanks in advance: Enzo

Hi

I am trying to find out some info for my dad, who is trying to find out information about his fathers military service. We know he was in Salonica as a Sargeant in the RAMC 29th Stationary Hospital which i believe from this thread treated POW's, and that he was also in Cremona. Is it true that as he was only called up for WW1 that his records would have likely been destroyed in WW2?

Also if anyone has any information I would be very grateful, or even pointed in the right direction, as it would be great to find out more about his time there, and learn more about the people he would have treated and what it was like there (intend to get the book Under the Devil's Eye). His name was Lister Booth, in case anyone has ever heard him mentioned, and he was friends with someone called Croasdell.

Also, I know it is a while since you posted, but I would be very interested to see a map of the hospitals placement, if anyone has a copy?

Thanks in advance

Lynda

post-89208-0-99355700-1334177106.jpg

• 6 years later...

Hi everybody. I live in Turin, Italy where there are some ww1 soldiers buried at the communal cemetery who were treated at one section of the 29th military hospital.

From your discussion I understand that this hospital was in Cremona, though.

Could you help me find out more about this hospital and the soldiers buried in Turin?

Hi Emma, as you know we are already in contact and I have completed my research into all the soldiers and the hospital in Turin - I'll be in touch again soon. I just didn't want everyone to start doing the work and sending you the details again. I've had help from other members on the Forum already.

Best wishes

Lyn