Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/6 or 1/8 R Warwicks find Serre.

trenchtrotter

I know the views of people re battlefield finds but I thought Id post this image. Found March 2007 in ploughed field directly opposite Heidenkopf (Serre Road Cemetery). Photod as found. No detecting just on the surface and found whilst generally walking. No other items nearby ie buttons equipment or bones.

From location had to be 1/6 or 1/8 battalion 1/7/1916.

Interesting that it is not the typical territorial pattern but they were impractical and I think in war time the territorials were probably given regular titles.

Hope you find this image interesting and thought provoking.

TT

post-15846-1177099006.jpg

That is very moving. My family lost two members there on July 1st with the 1/8th warwicks, Alec and Len Burr. Len was never found but Alec's remains were found by a farmer in 1928.

Brigadier-General W.R.Ludlow, CB did a book on the 8th Battalion Royal Warwickshire Regt, for private circulation only, the book was done on the 1st July 1918. its called:

8th Bn RWR A Short Description of the Battle of Beaumont-Hamel 1st July 1916, compiled from accounts of the survivors & of a visit to the field of battle, March 12th 1918, his Son was KIA(Capt Stratford W. Ludlow) with C Company 1st July 1916.

A Visit to the Somme Battlefield. It will be no doubt of interest to the many relatives and friends of the 1/6th & 1/8th Bn of the RWR for me to give an account of a visit I paid to the Somme Battlefield about a week before the Germans commenced their great thrust for Amiens(21st March 1918). The object in view was to endeavour to locate the grave of my son & those of the many officers & men of the 1/8th Bn who fell in action on July 1st 1916, and a description of the part taken by these two Bn on that memorable day can now be made public.

The casualties among the rank & file were 573 out of 600 who took part in the assault on the Quadrilateral, North of Beaumont-Hamel, exclusive of officers. There were only five prisoners out of the casualities, one of whom was an officer, and all severely wounded. The only unwounded officer was 2/Lt Laing C Company.

Uncle bill,

The title was found by my brother and is poigniant to me also as I live and work in Birmingham and regularly pass the 1/8 memorial in Aston near the Villa ground.

As stated the badge was on the surface and no evidence of a body nearby. As someone said to me recently..."You did not find the item, it found you" I believe fate meant this item to be found and recovered. I know others may feel it should be left in situ but I must confess I believe taken in its context recovery of the item was appropriate.

Last year whilst near the Thiepval memorial and simply by field walking my brother and I came across the remains of a soldier and ensured his remains were recovered by the War Graves staff. He was unkown with no clues to ID or regiment. Had there been the slightest evidence of remains near the badge we would have done the same again.

Regards

TT

• 7 months later...

Im Just wondering if you have read a copy of this book or would know where i can get my hands on a copy as many of our family members were in the 1/8th Warwicks including Len and Alec Burr.

Regards

MB

What a great discovery, we were field walking in March 2007 around this area and lots of debris on surface but nothing as good as this! Agree totally with your views on finds and glad it was you who found the remains and treated them with the repect often not found.

Where abouts were the remains discovered?

Tony

Kirky,

The remains were found by the Leipzig Salient. If you were to follow the track from the Memorial to the old quarry and as tou reached the qaurry turned left and followed the edge they were just there.

TT

• 11 years later...

I know this is a wee while since this thread was active- but I am searching for a photograph of Captain Stratford Ludlow kia with 1/8 Warwicks on the 1 July 1916. Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

David 

• Admin
23 hours ago, David_Blanchard said:

I know this is a wee while since this thread was active- but I am searching for a photograph of Captain Stratford Ludlow kia with 1/8 Warwicks on the 1 July 1916. Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

David 

There is a photograph of him in the Birmingham Daily Mail Friday July 21st available on FMP click if you have access not the best reproduction and quite small.

Ken