Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Where the Australians Rest...

montbrehain

Reading through some on-line Australian service records today, I came to the last page and saw among the things issued to the family such as "Memorial scroll" "Memorial Plaque" A copy of "Where the Australians Rest". I have had a copy of this booklet for ages, and sometimes you assume that everybody else interested in the Subject knows of it too. ? But just in case you don't, I thought I would write a little about it .

post-13272-1177054612.jpg I dont know just when , But it seems early on in the war that it was realized That it would be nearly impossible for most Australian families to Visit the grave of a loved one who was buried in some far off country. Although some did have the means to visit after the war , most did not. And so a small booklet was produced to show the families who could not visit ,the places in which their fallen rest and the care they receive. I would be grateful if anybody can supply further information ? And if any of you require details or scans from the booklet , just let me know "MO"

post-13272-1177055464.jpg

post-13272-1177055551.jpg

post-13272-1177055588.jpg

post-13272-1177055621.jpg

post-13272-1177055658.jpg

post-13272-1177055700.jpg

post-13272-1177055733.jpg

Greetings Mo

Cannot help with any details. In fact this is the first time I have seen extracts from the booklet.

An old lady once showed me the memorbilia she had treasured concerning the father she never saw.

It included all the paperwork detailing the offer and acceptance etc etc by which her widowed mother purchased a copy of the booklet listing the names of all men commemorated on the same section of the Menin Gate as her late husband. Included was the receipt for Two Shillings and Six Pence.

Talk about the "Widows Mite"

Jo

www.bookfinder.com (search by the title) shows a couple of copies of this booklet for sale here in Australia.

One bookseller describes the copy they have -

(Melbourne: Albert J. Mullett, Government Printer: 1920) Code C. 3305. Wrappers plus pp. 72 (248 x 164 mm) Illustrated by John C. Goodchild. Evidently forwarded to next of kin of deceased soldiers with slip tipped in at front saying ‘With the Compliments and Deepest Sympathy of the Minister of State for Defence, Senator G.F. Pearce’. Spine sunned otherwise about fine copy.

The other mentions:

72pp. Thirty-six b/w plates and one b/w illus. Soft covers

Cheers

Sue

Thanks for that Sue , yes there are a lot more pics than the ones I posted. I attach a copy of the compliment slip "MO"post-13272-1177066948.jpg

I visited Durrington Cemetery yesterday - I'll post when Mrs Roxy gives me my camera back.

Roxy

Reading through some on-line Australian service records today, I came to the last page and saw among the things issued to the family such as "Memorial scroll" "Memorial Plaque" A copy of "Where the Australians Rest". I have had a copy of this booklet for ages, and sometimes you assume that everybody else interested in the Subject knows of it too. ? But just in case you don't, I thought I would write a little about it .

post-13272-1177054612.jpg I dont know just when , But it seems early on in the war that it was realized That it would be nearly impossible for most Australian families to Visit the grave of a loved one who was buried in some far off country. Although some did have the means to visit after the war , most did not. And so a small booklet was produced to show the families who could not visit ,the places in which their fallen rest and the care they receive. I would be grateful if anybody can supply further information ? And if any of you require details or scans from the booklet , just let me know "MO"

I think you are on the money Mo. My copy has the with compliments slip as well. The booklet to my mind gives a glimpse of the cemeteries but is fairly inadequate since Australians were in a lot more cemeteries than those depicted in the booklet. But it was something at least.

Chris.

Chaps

Anything in the booklet about Brookwood Cemetery in Surrey? There are quite a few Australian graves in the Cemetery.

Regards

Phil Henry

When I researched Chris Cox VC, we found a photo of his brother's grave in Lijssenthoek Cemetery sent to the family by the Australian Government in 1922. No sign of a booklet though and no sign of a receipt, the photo does not appear to have been purchased by the family, and three copies were sent too.

Mary

• 1 month later...

Sorry Phil , had this on my "to do" list "MO"post-13272-1182272977.jpgpost-13272-1182272995.jpg

• 7 years later...

Just been going through the record of Trooper Harry Coldicott, a Gloucestershire man that served in the Australian Light horse and was killed in France having survived Gallipoli.

At the end of his record I found he had been awarded the 1914-15 star, BM and VM and a reference to "Where Australians Rest", which meant nothing to me so I Googled it and found out that as described above it details the cemetaries containing the Australian dead.

There is a fully copy available on line at http://digital.slv.vic.gov.au/view/action/singleViewer.do?dvs=1411443286976~269&locale=en_GB&metadata_object_ratio=10&show_metadata=true&preferred_usage_type=VIEW_MAIN&frameId=1&usePid1=true&usePid2=true

If that link does not work just Google "Where Australians Rest" (it also found this thread). A very quick glance shows it is worth a much fuller read, and I found somehow the pen drawings had a bigger impact on me than photographs. Many of the cemeteries also contain British graves so its use it not restricted to those looking at Australian casualties.

I did consider starting a new thread, but thought the images / text in here from "Where Australians Rest" were worth bringing back to the top of the forum to demonstrate the booklet.

Evan