Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Royal navy

Its Me

This picture has a WW2 feel to it. I assume your grandmother and her brother were born before about 1900? - her brother would have to be of that vintage to have served in WW1.

Hi Its me

I’m afraid I am inclined to agree with horatio2 about the feel to the photograph being later than the Great War. On the day that the photo was taken, William "Bill" Sladen had already done at least 12 years man’s time in the mob, that doesn’t start until you are 18. This would give him a DoB around 1888, but only if the picture was taken in 1918.

Is there anymore to this image or is that the full picture?

Regards

Nigel

Good point, Nigel, but he must have been even older. At that time a man needed 13 years for 3 GCBs (3+5+5). No WW1 medal ribbons either.

well i was wrong..

it was WW2....we have no record of anything i would so love medals etc but i am told we can no longer get them...

would there be any record of him anywhere.

His service record is still with the Minestry Of Defence. I understand that WW2 medals are still being issued, but as they are un named you can buy originals - if you can establish which ones he was eligable for.

Medal rolls at Kew on Microfilm

ADM 171/146 Royal Fleet Reserve Long Service Medal 1921-1932

ADM 171/147 RFR Long Service Medal 1933-1942

Hi,

The RFR Long service medal was first issued in July 1922 so could be before he recieved any other medals. As far as I am aware the same medal is still extant today. His date of birth would help.

Regards Charles

Looks like a Burma Star Ribbon to me.