Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Benjamin Cooksley SS 116506

cornish_bluebird

Was wondering if SKS could help me in deciphering some of the info on his record

Under Sub-Ratings and Badges what would G1 and R1 stand for?

also under Remarks there is the usual (1) Over 3 yrs 30-12-17 but underneath is written in brackets a couple of other things. Was there any standard wording used for remarks or could this be off the cuff remarks?

I am unable to attach the record to this message, so if anyone can help but would like a copy email on garethmichelle@tiscali.co.uk

Kind Regards

Gareth Thomas

Gareth,

Welcome to the forum.

G1 is Granted 1st Good Conduct Badge.

R1 is Restored 1st Good Conduct Badge.

This badge was awarded for 3 years Good Conduct, having it Restored means it was taken away.

Over 3 yrs, means he served 3 years in a rank and was granted extra pay. The remarks should be standard but the more unusual ones will always be open to interpretation.

To attach anything on the forum its size must be under 100k

Regards Charles

Thanks for that, so basically he was a naughty boy at whilst at Vivid II, as that is where he is based when he had it taken away from him by the looks of it. the Ceased column has D30/4/19 and R1 has 29/10/19

can i send you a copy of the record, you might be able to use your knowledge of service records to interpret the remarks section for me?

I can't work out how to reduce the size of the file unfortunately

Hi,

If you carn't get all of the record on, cut the bits you want answers and paste them.

Regards Charles

Ok think i have sorted it this time, let me know what you think. Thanks for your help in this matter it is much appreciatedbenjamin_cooksley_RN.doc

Served on Birmingham at the Battle of Jutland.

The comments that I can read refer to ledgers, which I understand have now been lost/ weeded and also to his War Gratuity paid when he was on Sandhurst.

Served on Birmingham at the Battle of Jutland.

The comments that I can read refer to ledgers, which I understand have now been lost/ weeded and also to his War Gratuity paid when he was on Sandhurst.

Thanks for that, can you make out what is written under (1) Over 3 years blah blah it is in ()..?

Gareth

Taffy,

Hi, the loss of his badge is an unusual one he lost his badge whilst on leave and suffered 'Consequencial Naval Penalties'. The ships he served on are Birmingham a 2nd Class Cruiser, Constance a Light Cruiser and Vidette V/W class Destroyer.

Birmingham

http://www.worldwar1.co.uk/light-cruiser/hms-Birmingham.html

Constance

http://www.worldwar1.co.uk/light-cruiser/hms-Cambrian.html

Vidette

http://www.battleships-cruisers.co.uk/esco...m#HMS%20Vidette

Hope this helps

Regards Charles

Taffy,

'what is written under (1) Over 3 years blah blah it is in ()..?'

Its a query about where his pay rise is recorded, the answer is 'possibly the 18 ledger' the last but one day of the year 1917 would be the cause.

Regards Charles

Taffy,

Hi, the loss of his badge is an unusual one he lost his badge whilst on leave and suffered 'Consequencial Naval Penalties'. The ships he served on are Birmingham a 2nd Class Cruiser, Constance a Light Cruiser and Vidette V/W class Destroyer.

Birmingham

http://www.worldwar1.co.uk/light-cruiser/hms-Birmingham.html

Constance

http://www.worldwar1.co.uk/light-cruiser/hms-Cambrian.html

Vidette

http://www.battleships-cruisers.co.uk/esco...m#HMS%20Vidette

Hope this helps

Regards Charles

Blimey thanks for all that.. may i enquire how you deciphered he was on leave when he got into trouble? Also was he on the Vidette but at the same time at shore bases sandhurst and columbine?

Gareth

Taffy,

The only way you can be deprived of a Good Conduct Badge and remain of 'Very Good' Character is if you are on leave and are punished by the civil power. When you return to the RN you suffer 'Consquencial naval penalties' the same as in most jobs if you had been in trouble out of work. As an extreme you dont have many teachers that have been found guilty of child abuse or bank tellers found guilty of theft. The navy count any visit to a magistrate, if you are found guilty, to 'bring discredit on HM Forces'.

The Sandhurst was a repair ship and as the Vidette is in parenthesis after it, it denotes that that is the ship he served on, the Sandhurst, is its accounting base.

Regards Charles

Taffy,

The only way you can be deprived of a Good Conduct Badge and remain of 'Very Good' Character is if you are on leave and are punished by the civil power. When you return to the RN you suffer 'Consquencial naval penalties' the same as in most jobs if you had been in trouble out of work. As an extreme you dont have many teachers that have been found guilty of child abuse or bank tellers found guilty of theft. The navy count any visit to a magistrate, if you are found guilty, to 'bring discredit on HM Forces'.

The Sandhurst was a repair ship and as the Vidette is in parenthesis after it, it denotes that that is the ship he served on, the Sandhurst, is its accounting base.

Regards Charles

Right i gotcha now... you know i served 7 years in the RN myself so did wonder why he was a VG yet lost his badge myself... Thanks for the Vidette bit that explains why now.

Thanks for your help

Gareth