Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Title / origin of picture?

wesmo

post-15333-1176934972.jpgWhile visiting the Sanctuary Wood Museum recently I noticed this picture on the wall. I have since seen it again on this forum. As one whose Grandad was a groom in the Great War it struck a cord with me...does anyone know its title and/or where the original came from?

Thanks,

Wes

I think the title is "Goodbye, Old Man". It's by Fortunino Matania, who also painted "Last Absolution of the Munsters". See the thread on this in Classic Threads. It's a long but fascinating read ...

Wes

The painting is titled "Goodbye, Old Man" and the artistes name escapes me but begins with an "M" and when I dig it out from the attic I'll post a picture of the model I made a long time ago.

Tony

Tonym - Would very much like to see the model you made of Fortunio Matania's fine illustration. Looking forward to it!

All the best,

Dan

Wes & Dan

Here is my masterpiece. It probably would not win any prizes but as one of my first efforts I liked it.

a second view follows.

Cheers

Tony

post-1946-1176984744.jpg

Tony - that is fantastic. Well done!

Can I ask what it's made of?

Thanks for posting it up.

Barrie

Thanks for that, Mick - I haven't seen that site before. If anybody's posted it on the Last Absolution thread, I missed it.

Tony - Thanks for posting your model! Very well done! Is that all original sculpting? Is any of it conversion? What scale? 54mm?

I'm asking so many questions because eventually I would like to sculpt one myself in 120mm or 1/16th scale. Recently there has been a very, very good step by step put together by a Russian sculptor, Andrei Zlobov, who does superb horses. I want to try his techniques and do one from scratch. Right now, I have about a half dozen projects that have to be finished before I can get to this one.

All the best,

Dan

Have you seen the 56th London Div memorial at Chipily ?..a fine Statue. :D

post-7805-1177028255.jpg

I'm kinda confused by the photo. Forgive the stoopid question, but is this two views of the same statue or are there two different horses and riders on the statue?

All the best,

Dan

Two Different Views of the same Photograph ...I must Admit it is a Tad Confusing. :D

Dan

Sculpture is not one of my assets. These are conversions the soldier being bits and pieces from other figures and the horse was just a case of cutting and repositioning the limbs. The only sculpturing was tidying up any Milliput filling. The scale is basically 54mm.

Cheers

Tony

Nonetheless Tony, you did a fine job! I hope I can make a start on my version of Matania's great illustration sometime soon.

All the best,

Dan

I used to have this as my avatar. I fell in love with the picture whilst visiting a museum in Ypres a few years ago.

there are several versions of it. I have two different ones (each only slightly different) hanging on my bedroom wall.

The sculpture you did tony is really lovely. You have done this proud.

Susan.