Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

First Engineer Frank Mitchell

eltoro1960

Probably been asked a few times, apologies if it has, are Merchant seamen entitled to any war medals, the man above from Newtongrange was captured aboard the Katherine and held as a POW in Germany. It would seem harsh if he is not entitled to anything but I seem to recall he is not, and also probably had his wages stopped the day he sunk.

If anyone can shed any light on this matter, or on the circunstances of his capture, I would be obliged.

Thanks

Hi,

The Mercantile Marine Medal was awarded to members of the Mercantile marine who served on one or more voyages through a danger zone during the period 4 August 1914 and 11 November 1918.

I would say getting captured would be in a danger zone.

Regards Charles

John,

Katherine was a 2926 grt steamer built in 1904 and captured on February 23, 1917 by the German raider Möwe 200 miles NExN3/4N of St. Paul's Rock. The steamer was on a voyage from Rosario for Dakar, with a crago of wheat, and was scuttled the following day. The crew was held on board until Möwe returned to Germany on March 22, 1917.

Best wishes,

Michael

Charles, Michael - Thak you, excellent replies as always, I will give you a mention when I add the information to my website, cheers.

John

My understanding is that The Mercantile Marine War Medal had to be claimed rather than be issued automatically. There is a Mercantile Marine War Medal card index at Kew.

"There is a Mercantile Marine War Medal card index at Kew."

Thanks for that , would be I correct in thinking that this index is not online.

John

Yes, fraid so only the army index is online. BT 351 is on microfiche offline.