Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Twenty Years After', Supplementary Volume

SiegeGunner

I was recently given the 'Supplementary Volume', in 22 parts, of the publication 'Twenty Years After — The Battlefields of 1914-18: Then and Now' (edited by Maj Gen Sir Ernest Swinton, published by George Newnes).

It was nice to receive the Supplementary Volume as a gift, but I am wondering whether it is worth buying the main volumes, Vol I (Parts 1-21) and Vol II (Parts 22-42), which seem to go for between £15 and £20 each. Could someone who has all three Vols please advise.

Thanks

Mick

It's an excellent publication that anyone with a serious interest cannot do without, for the illustrations alone, IMHO. One also I never, ever, tire of looking at either - especially the 'now' photos, which are these days 70 years old and historical documents in their own right.

Hi

I bought my three volumes for a tenner twenty years ago. I find them all excellent books, but that is a personal valuation. The price you quoted would seem Ok for books in good condition, but only you will be able to tell if you get from them value over what you paid.

If you like that sort of bound part work." I was there!", is also very good, no idea what they fetch now. My copies are individual magazines, with the covers still on. This has the advantage that quite a few of the letters and comments from veterans responding to past articles are printed on the covers, which of course are lost when they are bound.

Gareth

go for it if you can get them, as said well worth it, dont leave home without them!

Mandy

Well worth it.I first came across these volumes 60 odd years ago when staying with an uncle and aunt in the countryside during school holidays in the war time years.I found them fascinating little dreaming that one day I would be standing in those places.Go for it!

Les

If you like and appreciate the supplementary volume, you will equally enjoy the other

two. Typically collectors find that the Supplementary volume is harder to find so you've made a good start.

Thanks to all for these overwhelmingly positive recommendations. The Supplementary Volume is extremely good, considering that it followed 42 issues that had evidently already covered the 'prime' sites and sights — so I think I had better get Vols I and II as well. Paul's point about the 'twenty years on' photos having become historical documents in their own right is a timely reminder that history does not stand still.

Mick

Having read this thread I went ahead and bought all three volumes. Fantastic I wonder how I managed without them for so long. One interesting thing is that the editor states in the foreword that the only men he will have write any part of the books are ex soldiers who served - he believes that it gives it an authority that would be lacking otherwise. I have only dipped my toe in so far but one thing i have noted already is the pride of the men - pride in what they did and what they achieved. In places it also humorous - some of the editors comments on the rebuilding of villages is far from complimentary in some places. Hours and hours of reading ahead.

• 16 years later...

Hello all, I have both of  the original hardbound volumes of Swinton's 20 years On. But sadl,y have never been able to acquire the Supplementary volume. I have no intention of selling these books,  I would just like to have the complete set, even if it meant  having to accept a soft-bond version. Would appreciate any information on likely sources, sites etc. Thank You. Ted     

I got them all on eBay but it takes time - ignore the ridiculous prices from people who think they must be sitting on a goldmine. Sooner or later they appear at a sensible price, including the unbound magazines which (as commented above) contain lots of interesting material on the front and back covers.

John

A soft cover reprint is available on Abebooks for around £42.50 inclusive of postage.

Mike.

Just to add that you can download the magazine in single pdfs (including the end matter): https://vickersmg.blog/about/research/twenty-years-after/

A reprint is available from Naval & Military Press: https://www.naval-military-press.com/product/twenty-years-after-the-battlefields-of-1914-1918-then-nowthree-volume-set/

John 

10 hours ago, johntaylor said:

Just to add that you can download the magazine in single pdfs (including the end matter): https://vickersmg.blog/about/research/twenty-years-after/

A fascinating and useful resource. Thanks.