The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Sgt Kingwell, SA Infantry- who was he?

Fiona F

I am trying to find out anything about my Great Grandfather, Sergeant Richard Samuel Kingwell. He died before my Grandmother (who is now 91) was born so she remembers nothing about him- I don't even have a photograph! I have found some information on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission website, as follows:

Name: Richard Samuel Kingwell

Initials: R S

Nationality: South African

Regiment/Service: South African Infantry

Unit Text: 4th Regt.

Date of Death: 19/08/1917, killed in action

Service No: 1888

Additional information: Son of the late Samuel and Emma Kingwell, of Cape Town, South Africa; husband of Annie Ward (formerly Kingwell), of 184, Barham St., Allenby Gardens, Adelaide, South Australia.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead Grave/Memorial Reference: II. B. 1.

Cemetery: METZ-EN-COUTURE COMMUNAL CEMETERY BRITISH EXTENSION

I assume that he was a member of the Cape Town Highlanders before they combined with the Transvaal Scottish Regiment to form the 4th South African Infantry (South African Scottish) Battalion, part of the 1st South African Brigade.

I also assume that he died during the Battle of Passchendaele (31st July 1917- 10th November 1917).

I don't know which battles he took part in, any medals he may have received, and I don't have any of his badges.

If anyone has any information about my Great Grandfather I would be extremely grateful.

Fortunately, my Grandmother has kept the British Cap Badges that he collected from WW1 and before, so if anyone would like to know more about those, I'd be happy to help!

Many thanks!

Fiona.

Fiona,

He would have been in the South Aftrican Brigade of the 9th (Scottish) Division. Their brief history can be seen on the Long, Longh Trail, linked at the top of the page.

The division was involved in many of the major Great War battles on the Western Front.

Ian

• 3 years later...

Fiona,

I know this thread is quite old so you may well have already done this. You can contact the Department of Defence Documentation Centre in Pretoria and request a copy of your Great Grandfathers service file. Write a brief letter requesting a copy of his file and give the details you have of him (force number etc). Their phone number is 012 322-6350. Their e-mail is: sandfdoc@mweb.co.za

Address:

Department of Defence,

Documentation Centre,

Private Bag X289,

Pretoria,

Best,

Mark