The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Poppy crosses and wreaths

Anthony Bagshaw

I'm after approx 40 Remembrance crosses and 2 wreaths to take with me on my trip to Ypres in early May.

I've looked on RBL website but can't find them on there.

Can anyone offer any guidance please?

(Mods, sorry it's in the wrong category couldn't see anywhere else for it to go, please move)

I have the same problem every year. The most effective is to order by phone; I don't think it cam be done over the internet although e-mail might work.

http://www.britishlegion.org.uk/contact/Co...Us-509170.shtml

There is a contact for obtaining wreaths etc halfway down the above page under 'Fundraising'. They will put you through to someone who will want to know your county. The service is pretty quick and as you probably know, you can't pay for them but you make a donation.

Anthony

Send Harry Betts a PM - sure he will be able to help.

Glyn

Try this number for the Royal British Legion Office.

01622 717172

Or contact your local branch. They are really helpful and sometimes have stocks on hand.

Clare

Iv'e experienced exactly the same problem! It's quite easy to obtain supplies near November but mid April most stocks have diminished.

I contacted the RBL at Maidstone and they sent me what I wanted in the post the next day.

Neil

Thanks all for the useful replies, i shall make enquiries

Thanks all for the useful replies, i shall make enquiries

When you phone the RBL at Maidstone ask them for a leaflet. It has all the various Wreaths etc you can get. Usefull for next time :D They post the next day and I always get mine in a couple of days.

I have always found it best to go direct to Maidstone and have never had a problem.

(Number Clare gave)

stevem

The RBL need to get that problem with their website sorted out. I'm sure that loads of people (like me) have looked in vain for that information over the years. Like others have said , once you do get through to the appropriate person they couldn't be more helpful and swift in delivery.

Hi Guys,

I've tried the number but they are only open 9-5 and i'm out all day at work.

I've sent an email so hopefully i'll be able to get them soon.

Cheers again!!

If still having problems obtaining Order for Wreaths Crosses or other Poppy related RBL supplies PM or e Mail I can arrange direct deliveryfrom Poppy Appeal HQ; to your address,Donations to either my Local Branch Poppy appeal{It helps our ongoing Annual Collection,or direct to RBL Poppy Appeal appreciated,Details on request Regards Roger{HB}

I have assisted various Forum members with such items & our Branch has benefited in past two years by donations of over £300 from Members!!!

Hon PAO Guyhirn & District Poppy Appeal;Cambs.

Roger,

Somehow missed your post, i apologise.

They arrived this morning, but thanks for the offer.

Cheers

without demand of payment

Terry,

The ons i have received ask for payment to cover the costs of the crosses at 50p each. It basically says that my payment has to cover their costs for making the items.

I thought it was send a donation??

I was going to send it anyway but it appears they are sending bills out

Anthony.

It possibly could be the case now, but the orders I placed with RBL did not contain a payment request,

in that case it appears it may have been an oversight.

Pleased to hear that you obtained the items you wanted, enjoy your trip to Ypres / The Salient.

I do apologies if my post mislead you or any other Pals.

Regards.

Terry W.

The ons i have received ask for payment to cover the costs of the crosses at 50p each. It basically says that my payment has to cover their costs for making the items.

I thought it was send a donation?

Anthony,

I know you were addressing this to Terry W but it might be worth putting in my understanding of this. The paperwork I have received in the past (as recently as last November) from the RBL says that they ask for a donations on the basis that if they charged you a fixed price, they (and you) would then become subject to VAT which would then obviously add nearly 20% to the cost as I should imagine thatr the costs are mainly labour rather than materials (so there would be little input VAT that they could recover). The paperwork tells you the minimum amount that they consider needs to be donated to cover the cost of producing the wreath (including I presume despatch and the amangement and other costs of the factory). I would be interested to know from anyone if the 'cost' is calculated otherwise. I think it's about £18 for a wreath (variable - depending on the type and the centre) and 50 p for a remembrance cross (last time I got some about two years ago).

The paperwork that arrived does/did look rather like a bill but careful reading showed that it was a request for a donation which is of course very fair as the charity exists (as I understand it) to provide employment through the production of wreaths and poppies rather than to simply provide the wreaths. It is slightly sad that it has to be so bluntly (though not impolitely) worded; presumably thay have had a significant proportion of people sending either a donation that does not meet the costs or no donation at all (for whatever reason). It is even sadder if they have had to change their policy.

In fact, on the basis of getting it straight from the poppy's mouth, I have just rung my county organizer. She tells me that the policy is definitely to send out a request for a donation and not a bill. If they don't receive a donation they do send out a 'red' donation letter (well, just a reminder that donations would be welcome). She also tells me that there is a 'high' proportion of people who do not donate anything at all. I hope that they maintain a blacklist!

I suppose if you get wreaths and crosses from your local branch, the volunteer appeal secretary there might be less careful with his/her wording and tell you that you 'owe' so much as the costs may have already been covered in donations from the branch. Certainly at our small regimental museum, we have already made a donation to cover the cost of crosses and wreaths in stock and people won't be walking out of the door with them unless they have made a corresponding donation (although I do explain the basis on which the payment system works).

Ian

Terry,

I thought it was send a donation??

Its a tax thing - They give you the cost of making them as an idea and then ask for donations. I usually double the cost of the item. I get the 'bill' send it off and get a receipt by return of post.

stevem

All,

Thanks for the replies.

Just a little strange receiving the 'bill', that's all.

I was going to give the donation what it amounts to anyway, but i just find it strange.

Oh well......