Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WWI practice trenches, Princes Risborough, Bucks

Moonraker

Yesterday I was on Whiteleaf Hill above Princes Risborough in Buckinghamshire, where an information board mentioned there were Great War practice trenches nearby. I duly investigated, and made out a few dips and heaps of a system that, judging from what is visible today, might have been about 100 yards long by 20 wide.

The notice board is at the end of the car park at the top of the hill. Head NNW past the board down a path for about 110 yards, and turn right along the Ridgeway trail. The system begins about 10 yards on the right. The ground the other side of the Ridgeway is a bit uneven, but I think most of the holes there have been caused by trees uprooting.

I would be mildly interested to know a little about the trenches. Halton Camp was (is) five miles to the NE and though Google didn't throw up much about tit, there is a web reference to it dating from 1913 and in the Great War becoming an RFC camp. The distance is just about reasonable for the trenches to be linked to the camp and is comparable with that relating to some of "my" Wiltshire camps and their practice trench systems.

I can't say the Whiteleaf trenches are worth a special visit, but the locality is well worth going to. There's the Whiteleaf Cross carved in the hillside, great views over East Oxfordshire, Chequers ("Blair's Lair", as chalk marks on several signposts informed me) and lots of little villages as seen in "Midsomer Murders".

Moonraker

Have you had a look on Google Earth?

I couldn't locate Whiteleaf Hill on Google Maps though. It would be interesting if you located the exact site on Google Earth and then post it's position here.

Neil

post-2961-1176737097.jpg

The ongoing English Heritage aerial survey work in the UK is turning up some fascinating aerial pics showing practice trench lines in a number of areas.

Have you had a look on Google Earth?

I couldn't locate Whiteleaf Hill on Google Maps though. It would be interesting if you located the exact site on Google Earth and then post it's position here.

Neil

Neil, I've only recently started using Google Earth, but I have checked out the exact spot on it and it's completely covered in trees.

Moonraker