The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Brig Gen George Cape

Roger D

Looking at the 116th Infantry Brigade war diary I note an entry on 18/3/18 stating that there had been a tactical exercise for Brigade staff and CO's. During the course of the exercise a shell struck killing Brigadier General George Cape and one other un-named officer.

Purely being nosey but does anyone know:-

1. Where was the Divisional Commander? (Major General Feetham, himself KIA on 29/3/18.)

2. Where this all occured?

3. The identity of the un-named Officer?

Cheers.

According to 'Bloody Red Tabs' Cape was standing in for feetham, who had gone on leave to the UK. Capt L E H Whitby MGC is named as being severley wounded, though does not state he died.

regards

Arm

• 7 months later...

Just received this from James Whitby, the grandson of Captain Whitby:

Amazing to see a little about my grand father Brig Whitby, those wounds

were from attacking a machine gun nest I believe and was awarded for

it. But lost his leg and then became an esteemed doctor given charge of

over seeing the Army Blood Transfusion Service in WW2 plus helped

invent sulfa drugs. Thank you.

James Whitby

TR

Peices of a jigsaw Terry.

• 11 months later...
Just received this from James Whitby, the grandson of Captain Whitby:

Amazing to see a little about my grand father Brig Whitby, those wounds

were from attacking a machine gun nest I believe and was awarded for

it. But lost his leg and then became an esteemed doctor given charge of

over seeing the Army Blood Transfusion Service in WW2 plus helped

invent sulfa drugs. Thank you.

James Whitby

TR

I've been going through old forum messages looking for any details Captain Whitby,I am looking into Sergeant John Tann who served under Captain Whitby.The story goes that John Tann saved the Captains life and sent hampers to him and his family after the war.If you still have James Whitby's e mail address is there some way i can have it. John Tanns daughter is still alive and i am doing the research for her, she married my father but is now a widow. if nothing comes of it i shall still be absolutely amazed.

Many Thanks Nick

Nick,

Lionel Whitby was indeed a distinguished medical man and also, 1947-57, Master of Downing College at Cambridge. There is an entry for him in the Oxford DNB, but you will probably have to access it from a local library. There may even be his papers knocking about somewhere.

Regards

Adam

• 1 year later...
Guest chugach mtn boy
I've been going through old forum messages looking for any details Captain Whitby,I am looking into Sergeant John Tann who served under Captain Whitby.The story goes that John Tann saved the Captains life and sent hampers to him and his family after the war.If you still have James Whitby's e mail address is there some way i can have it. John Tanns daughter is still alive and i am doing the research for her, she married my father but is now a widow. if nothing comes of it i shall still be absolutely amazed.

Many Thanks Nick

Nick, please respond if you are still watching this thread. All this would be very interesting to explore. In fact, perhaps we could put Sgt Tann's daughter in touch with Capt. Whitby's daughter (my mother).

Imperial War Museum has papers relating to Whitby's WWII service, those are the only ones whose location is recorded in the National Register of Archives