Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniform Buttons - Which Regiment?

Chris_B

This is a poor quality family photo, but can the eagle eyed amongst you make out the regiment from the buttons?

post-23-1071610749.jpg

Unfortunately, they're standard issue GS (or General Service) buttons featuring the Royal Coat of Arms worn by generally all 'other ranks' throughout the war. So, nothing further can be gleaned from them! :(

Phil,

If this soldier was in a "regular army" battalion would that explain GS buttons. Or did all battalions have GS buttons on uniforms all the time?

The Service Dress Jacket was only issued with Royal Arms Buttons. It was issued to everyone; regular, reservist and Terrier. A Service Dress Jacket might have regimental buttons, but if so they were specifically changed/added by the soildier.

Joe Sweeney

Ref buttons

As a wartime economy, GS buttons would be attached at the factory, and then sent where it was needed - as a re-enactor, I have to deal with the public who are more familiar with the present day Service Dress, explaining the situation. So, therefore, as the guy depicted is not an officer, may I suggest that he is wearing well polisheg GS buttons

I have paid the price to live with myself on the terms that I have willed