Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

RFA information please

Nick Sumner

post-20565-1176562362.jpg

Can any one give me any information about my grandad Joe Sumner. Born 6/8/1887 he lived until 1948.

I know little about him. I'm assuming Royal Field Artillary but why is he wearing spurs and carrying a stick?

Any information would be appreciated.

Thank you

He is RFA , you can read it on his shoulder titles. Spurs were common for horsed units, there would be the gun teams themselves to drive and the ammunition column horses plus all those in reserve in the horse lines.

Roop

Thank you, I obviously have lots of places to go and look to try and work out which record is his. It's strange seeing his name as Joseph, he's always been Joe and his father was Joseph.

Nick

Great picture. I presume he's a driver (of horses) and thats his horsewhip

Thank you, that seems so likely once you've pointed it out. I was thinking of modern artillery but of course it would have been all horse power then.

Nick

Doesn't look like an artillery cap badge to me unless it is a trick of the light.

Nigel

I did wonder about that. I had a magnifying glass on it and thought I could see 3 bands down it but I'd decided it was a trick of the light too.

Nick

Spurs and a riding crop were standard walking out dress for RHA and RGA. And the Gunners had to ride as well.

Spurs and a riding crop were standard walking out dress for RHA and RGA. And the Gunners had to ride as well.

Thank you for that. Do you have an opinion on his cap badge please? It does not appear to be quite standard, although that may be the way the light is on it.

Territorial and regular Units may have had revolving wheel badges. In general when Kitchener formed the New Armies in 1914 this badge was the one that became the standard, ie cheap and pressed out of brass plate.

Roop

Take a look at the photo of my G.Uncle, he was a Driver in the RFA. The uniforms look very similar.

post-20698-1177352305.jpg