Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Last Post at Ypres

angelab

I did do a search, honestly, but so many thousands of replies came up to the query "last post" that I had to give up looking...

Concerning the playing of the Last Post under the Menin Gate at Ypres, I just need to say (for a book):

"This has been done every night (apart from the years of occupation during World War II), since xxxxxxxx"

I had gathered 11 November 1928 from some source.

But a proof-reader has queried it, and I have trudged back through websites and my original documentation, but nothing agrees. :angry:

The Last Post Association's own site www.lastpost.be

says "every day at the Menin Gate since July 24 1927."

Another site ( www.greatwar.co.uk )

very specifically says it was first played on 1 July 1928 (i.e. a year later),

then played daily for 4 months.

Then reinstated in spring 1929.

I am more confused than ever!

My inclination would be to take the Last Post's own word for it. I wonder, though, if there is something "weaselly" about "every DAY ....since July 24 1927"? i.e. was it played at lunchtime?

Can anybody point me to the definitive source?

Many thanks

Angela

at 9 pm on 1st July 1928 the 12th anniversary of the start of the battle of the Somme.

Ran out of money in - 30 Sept 1928 suspended.

resumed - 1 May 1929.

suspended in WW2

Had the newsletter today and I think it is the 27,000 on 25th April (ANZAC Day)

stevem

Menin Gate inaugurated by Plumer on July 24 1927, Sassoon wrote 'On Passing the New Menin Gate' the next day in his Brussels hotel room.

The sounding idea was that of Mr P Vandenbraambussche, Superintendent of the Ypres Police. First sounding 1.7.1928 with a daily ceremony for 4 months. Reinstated in Spring 1929 when the Last Post Committee was set up. From 11.11.1929 every night except 1940-44.

Thanks guys!

So it looks as if I would be OK to say it was first sounded on 1 July 1928, and has been a nightly event since 11 November 1929 (except WWII).

Brilliant. :-)

Angela

Ignoring rehearsals, the Last Post was first sounded at the Menin Gate on Sunday 24th July 1927 by 2nd Battalion The Somerset light Infantry. It was followed by "The Flowers of the Field" played by Pipers of the 1st Battalion Scots Guards. These details come from the Order of Ceremonial for the Unveiling and Dedication. (Courtesy of Geoff501)

The King of the Belgians and Lord Plumer were present.

It would seem that the wonderful regular nightly sounding dates from 1928 , but I wonder if there was any sort of ceremony on Remembrance Sunday 1927?

but I wonder if there was any sort of ceremony on Remembrance Sunday 1927?

Ian,

Dominik Dendooven (Menenpoort & Last Post) for 1927 only writes : "Het jaar voordien, in 1927 zouden er al sporadisch uitvoeringen van de ceremonie zijn geweest, maar dan slechts bij hoge uitzondering." (p. 115)

(it is said that ... sporadically ... very exceptionally ... Information from a letter to F. Ware, 10 July 1928)

No mention of a date.

Maybe Remembrance Sunday was one of them ?

Aurel

Geoff - Many thanks for your sending me the scanned copy of the order of service for the Menin Gate inauguration. Apologies for the delay in me acknowledging this.

Aurel - Yes, I suppose we shall never know if the Last Post was sounded again in 1927 - but getting the buglers trained and ready to go in less than a year is a good effort - and to then keep it up for a further 79 years and counting is simply fantastic!

Guest geoff501
It was followed by "The Flowers of the Field" played by Pipers of the 1st Battalion Scots Guards.

Would this be the Scots Guards? Picture from Sunday Herald 24/07/1927.

It may have been taken at rehersal (woodbine may be a give-away!), I don't have papers for the following monday.

10,000 travelled to Ypres from the UK for the ceremony

post-4982-1176653551.jpg

No doubt our uniform experts will enlighten us but it would seem likely that we have here a photo of the first of the great line of Menin Gate musicians.

Guest geoff501
Would be interested to know if anyone has a photo of the Buglers at the Dedication Ceremony

This is from the same edition, whether its one of the actual buglers or taken from the paper's photo archive, I don't know. Is this an SLI man? Try a few newspaper archives, there may be pictures in the following Monday's papers.

post-4982-1176831743.jpg

post-4982-1176832338.jpg

• 3 years later...

The Last Post Association - Menin Gate at Ypres

The Last Post Association is an independent, voluntary, non-profit organization. The Association founded the Last Post Ceremony in 1928 and is still responsible for the day-to-day organization of this unique act of homage. This daily tribute - performed by a team of local buglers - serves to honour the memory of the soldiers of the British Empire, who fought and died in the immortal Ypres Salient during the First World War. It is the aim of the Last Post Association to maintain this ceremony in perpetuity. NOTE: Guests may arrange book special commemorations via email. [CEF Study Group - Sept 2010]

http://www.lastpost.be/en/index/index/slug/home

Having attended the Last Post Ceremony,at the Gate, this July may I express an opinion.

The Service,is important, but the bugle calls resonate and that is my point.

The calls are offered, in my mind, not only to the men who are commemorated on the Menin Gate but also to their Colleagues,who lie in CWGC maintained Cemeteries,Memorials and individual graves,wherever they are and would love/hate to answer the "wake up" call

George

• 12 years later...

This lantern slide says 'MENIN GATE 1928'. Looks like the then Prince of Wales, later Edward VIII there:

MENIN GATE 1928.jpg

Edited by Ivor Anderson