Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Sgt Jack Turton 10th Lincs ; demoted but why.

moonloon

i would love to know why Jack Turton sgt, 10th Lincolnshires was demoted back to Corporal. it is said that he stood up for a soldier in his company that shot at an officer but i can find no evidence to support or disprove this. Their are a couple of good books on the 10th or Grimsby Chums but i can find no reference not surprisingly and the only war diaries i have come across are very basic.

Medal card of Turton, Jack

Corps Regiment No Rank

Lincolnshire Regiment 851 Corporal

He may have been Acting rank only. This summary of his MIC does not show him as a Sergeant.

Roop

Medal card of Turton, Jack

Corps Regiment No Rank

Lincolnshire Regiment 851 Corporal

He may have been Acting rank only. This summary of his MIC does not show him as a Sergeant.

Roop

i understand that he was recomended for the military medal following the 1st day of the Somme, didnt get it but was promoted instead..."he was a brick that day"

Hi,

"he was recomended for the military medal following the 1st day of the Somme, didnt get it but was promoted instead"

He would have been promoted to Acting Sergeant by his Commanding Officer, this would not be substantive and his rank outside the Battalion would remain Corporal.

Regards Charles

my sources are a photo of him with three stripes on his sleeve and the word of his daughter who has she tells me a letter from his company c o but i have not yet seen the letter myself, hopefully soon.

HI

You may already know the following but the number of 851 would put Jack Turton in amongst a group of approx 120 men from the West Bromwich, Tipton areas of the West Midlands who were posted to D Company of the Grimsby Chums in October 1914. Presuming that Jack remained with D Coy (just as much chance he moved Coy as well) then it would be interesting to know the officer who signed the letter, was it Vignoles?

Kind Regards

Chris

He would have been promoted to Acting Sergeant by his Commanding Officer, this would not be substantive and his rank outside the Battalion would remain Corporal.

If he couldnt cut the mustard, back down to corporal he would go. Misconduct is another reason, as is demotion at ones own request. You havent mentioned him being a POW..........but thats another reason.

Proof of the recommendation for the MM will be in the form of a Divisional Card for Gallantry..........perhaps his daughter has that?

Steve.

• 5 years later...

Hello

I believe I am the grandson of the Jack Turton you are interested in. I know some time has passed, but if you still have an interest, I'd be pleased to know what it is and to share the information I have about my granddad.

Kind regards

Phil