Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The naval war around the British Isles

swizz

Morning all

This is a rather broad question I'm afraid but I am more or less a total novice in this area.

Are there any particular books I could read to find out about the war in the seas around the British Isles? I'm particularly interested in minefields around Ireland but not sure where to begin.

Yours hopefully

Swizz

Swizz,

Although it is a broad brush, a good starting point.

The Imperial War Museum-Book of the War at Sea 1914-1918 by Julian Thompson.

Paperback Edition is printed by Pan Books ISBN-13:978-0-330-49172-3 or ISBN-10:0-330-49171-5.

I picked my copy up in Gatwick Airport for £9.99 if that's any help :D

George

Swizz,

E. Keble Chatterton.

Danger Zone. The Story of the Queenstown Command with 40 plates and 3 maps.

The Auxilliary Patrol.

Contemporary accounts a good read and informative.

Regards Charles

Thanks George and Charles to you both. I will try and get hold of both of these. Up til now I have basically been looking at the infantry and I'd forgotten how hard it is starting a new subject from scratch!

Swizz

Here's some more:

"TAFFRAIL" (Taprell DORLING) 'Endless story: being an account of the work of the destroyers, flotilla-leaders, torpedo-boats and patrol boats in the Great War.' Avoid the 6th abridged edition! Plenty of choice in libraries or on Abebooks of better editions.

Roy Humphreys, ‘The Dover Patrol, 1914-18’ ISBN: 0750919671 Publisher: Sutton Publishing

Admiral Sir Reginald Bacon, ‘The Dover Patrol 1915 -1917.’

Admiral Sir Reginald Bacon, ‘The Dover Patrol 1915 -1917.’

If you go for this one, look out for the 'Concise Story of the Dover Patrol', which is a one-volume condensation of the 2-volume edition. Although a couple of highly technical chapters are omitted, the content is otherwise the same, with some revisions and additions of new material.

Mick

Not forgetting The Official History: Naval Operations Vols 1-3 by Sir JS Corbett and vols 4-5 by H Newbolt.

The vade mecum of great war minefields is the Leith Lockhart history. There may be volumes at Kew or Greenwich but the one I have used in my researches is at the Royal Naval Historical Branch Library at Portsmouth Dockyard

Sorry - I only just noticed these replies.

Clio - that sounds very useful indeed and I will look into where I might be able to access a copy. Could you give me an idea of what sort of information is in that book? For example, are there maps?

Toffo - that website is a great resource. The article about the German shelling reminded me that I have read something about it before. I think it was in this book if you are interested:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/All-Quiet-Home-Fro...6929&sr=8-1

thanks again to all!

Swizz

Swizz,

The main sea war around the UK was fought against the German submarines.

An excellent account is given in the OH "The German Submarine War" by R H Gibson and Maurice Prendergast.

Best wishes

David

Sorry - I only just noticed these replies.

Toffo - that website is a great resource. The article about the German shelling reminded me that I have read something about it before. I think it was in this book if you are interested:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/All-Quiet-Home-Fro...6929&sr=8-1

thanks again to all!

Swizz

Swizz,

thanks for that, copy on order...toffo

A very detailed account of the 10th Cruiser Squadron can be found in "The Maritime Blockade of Germany in the Great War:The Northern Patrol 1914-1918"; edited by John Grainger; published by the Navy Records Society Vol 145

Ken

The Leith Lockhart History gives the precise positions of all minefields laid 1914-1918. I have only consulted it with regard to the British Isles but it gives details of why it was thought necessary to lay a field in a given area, who took the decision, when the fields were laid, the name of the vessels laying them, where the vessels sailed from. It also gives the full co-ordinates of the individual fields as you would expect plus a history of any submarines known to have been destroyed in them. The book is accompanied by a series of chart cut-outs showing the locations of the fields. Unfortunately only the negatives have survived and they require a special reader machine to make sense of them.

Best thing you can do is drop a line to Kate Tildesley at the Royal Naval Historical Branch library in Portsmouth.

Incidentally the book by Gibson and Prendergast is very good (the original research material now resides in the Submarine Museum. One caveat is that it is frequently at variance with German records and as I have learned to my cost, you have to cross reference anything in British records with KDM archives to make any sort of sense in this game.

Thanks Clio - that sounds ideal.

And Ken - that is the very squadron I am interested in! Will definitely try and get hold of that.

Swizz