Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

frank baxter and frank baxter

calvin

hello all i know i keep going on about this one but on the absent voyers list for 1919 it states frank baxter 36 guildford st. grimsby 2nd hand rnrt halcyon2 and frank baxter of 118 orwell st. grimsby hms brackonlynne which i beleive should be spelt braconlynn, can anyone help me find out who is who as both addresses are family ones and both my grandfather and my greatgrandfather are called frank baxter. any help in finding out would be really appriciated. thanks john

If you look in their Royal Naval Reserve record cards BT 377/7, at Kew, it will identify their address and their parents names. These are offline so you will have to go to Kew as you have previously said that you will be doing.

thanks for that, i was just trying to see if i could find out before i went to kew as i am prioritising as i have so much to do when i go. thanks again john

thanks for that, it is helpful, the big problem is distinguishing between the two franks, as its during the war there is no electoral role to refewr to, thanks again regards john

John, Toghill does not list a brackonlynne or braconlynn, but does have BRACKLYN.

Served 1914 - 1917, 303 tons, Adm No 667, Port Reg: FD 2, Lost 11/5/17 on mine laid by UC 1 off Yarmouth.

Best wishes

David

David.

I think John is talking about:

BRACONLYNN - trawler. Built at Aberdeen in 1913 for the Don Fishing Company, Aberdeen (port number A.584);

206 tons 115.2ft x 22.1ft. Taken over by the Navy in August 1914 and employed as a minesweeper, armed with 1 x 6 pdr gun. Returned owners in 1919.

Also:

HALCYON II Aberdeen trawler (port number A.514) 141 tons built 1893

In May 1917 taken into the Fishery Reserve - this means that she continued to fish in the North Sea under the control of their owners, but on hire to the Government; the crews were paid on RNR salaries plus five per cent bonus from the catch. She was released from Government service in 1919.

P.S.

Found the above on: Harry Tate's Navy

hello pegasuss, frank baxter born 1865 north somercoates, parents joseph cook born 1846 north somercoates and ann baxter born scamblesby 1837, surname taken from mothers side, siblings robert baxter 1867 north somercoates, elizabeth 1870, ned 1877, both somercoates. also frank 1865 married to hannah nee larder. children frank baxter 1888 my grandfather martha and mary twins 1886 and sarah 1890. frank 1888 married felicella conte in 1908. thanks for you help, regards john

hello david, thankyou for your reply, the local hearts of oak gives him serving in the hms braconlynn, possibly the one built in aberdeen but it is hard to confirm, thanks for your interest regards john

hello spithead, thanks for that info. it helps trying to peice things together, kind regards john