Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt. Gordon Campbell

Rob C

Hello all,

I'm looking for information with respect to my second cousin Lt. Gordon Campbell RFC killed 19 February, 1918 along with Observer Lt. John Stream. Henshaw states the aircraft came to grief at Wieltje, Belgium. These coordinates put the crash site as on or very near to Mouse Trap Farm. Specifically looking for information about the flying operations of Lt. Campbell's and 20 Squadron at the time and particulars to the engagement that led to Gordon's demise.

Of interest Henshaw also documents that Campbell and Offst. Otto Essewein of Ja26 had tangled two weeks previously.

Regards,

Rob C.

Dear Rob,

My great uncle was in 20 Squadron at the same time as Gordon Campell! I am sure they must have known each other well, even though there's no mention of your relative in the letters I ahve.

The following data on No 20 Sqn is from the RFC/RAF Orders of Battle in The War in the Air:

20 November 1917, in the 11th (Army) Wing of II Brigade, equipped with Bristol Fighters, commanded by Maj E H Johnston, based at Ste Marie-Cappel.

Hope this helps...

LCJ

PS: I know someone who is writing a history of 20 Squadron. If you're interested, I can give you his email address.

Dear Rob,

My great uncle was in 20 Squadron at the same time as Gordon Campell! I am sure they must have known each other well, even though there's no mention of your relative in the letters I ahve.

The following data on No 20 Sqn is from the RFC/RAF Orders of Battle in The War in the Air:

20 November 1917, in the 11th (Army) Wing of II Brigade, equipped with Bristol Fighters, commanded by Maj E H Johnston, based at Ste Marie-Cappel.

Hope this helps...

LCJ

PS: I know someone who is writing a history of 20 Squadron. If you're interested, I can give you his email address.

LCJ, Thanks for the additional information. Last summer I travelled through, around and over Ste Marie Cappel to try and see the site of the old airfield. Knowing that the landmarks were gone and not really knowing where I was going made finding it difficult. I do have maps for reference someplace. I also understand from a friend nearby that the high speed rail extension is planned to run directly through the old airfield.

Further information about the 20Sqn history would be appreciated.

Regards,

Rob C

Rob

For a brief summary of 20 sqdn, see this link:

http://www.rafweb.org/Sqn016-20.htm

Adrian

LCJ and Adrian, Thanks for your help. Every little bit helps us learn more. LCJ, I have to admit I lost the off line message that you sent me. Would you mind a do over?

Next stop is the National Archives in Ottawa.

Regards,

Rob C