Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 simulators

James

Can anyone help please?

I am looking for a strategy game for the PC. This would idealy allow the player to refight the various battles from 14-18 and in the process learn a bit more about the tactics involved.

I know there used to be ones covering the American Civil War and the Napolionic Wars.

Thanks in advance

James

Dont seem to remember any of note, and certainly not like those you want. Mind you I will watch this one to see if there is :)

John

Yessir...

"The Entente: Battlefields Of World War One" - however it is not out until Jan or Feb next year (not long!!!)

Ryan

Sorry!

Just clicked on the link and answered my own question :lol:

Definitely a must, in that case!

Regards,

Gordon

Still seems to say "Release date: 27-2-2003" everywhere so I can't see where it is available now?

Clicking on "Buy now" allows you to order it but until you complete the order form no delivery date is given. Has anyone tried ordering?

Garth

Amazon, play.com & HMV all allow you to buy now but it is a preorder. They also all show a release date without you putting in a shopping basket.

I think its simply all preorders so its not actually available now. No matter I can wait till the festivities are over - something to look forward to in Feb.

I really am not sure.

Games like this bore me out of my tiny mind. Perhaps that is my problem!

While loving a good computer war-game and there are some really good ones out for the early 18th Century and WWII, this game is a "click-fest" meaning its just Comand and Conquer with different graphics ... build, send stuff out and the winner is determined on who can click the fastest ... I've yet to see a good military WWI game ... if there is one out there, turn based, please tell me.

About four years ago I saw something online called, "The Battle of the Somme," that you could try free. The objective was to try and beat Haig's casualty figures by reconfiguring the artillery, the bombardment, where to concentrate the bombardment, and where to position the divisions. I know some people did it and did lower the casualties, but I never did. It actually made me feel ill when I played a few times, because it seemed like a travesty to me, re-creating something that took so many real lives. Well, I guess you can see I'm not much for video or computer games! I found it a bone-chilling experience, but if you like tactics and logistics, I suppose it would be challenging.

Cynthia

Cynthia,

I have a copy of that game on CD, it was originally produced for schools. I am afraid that is a very simplistic presentation which unfortunately misunderstands some of the key issues of the Battle of the Somme, not least by focussing exclusively on the first day.

I know just what you mean, Mark. I found that I wanted to be able to do more, but I still couldn't shake the feeling that I was playing a game that for the real fighters was a life and death exercise. Did you also get the feeling that no matter what you did, it would still result in horrendous losses? I suppose the overall feeling I had was that, if Haig did feel anything about those totals, it had to be a most numbing, paralysing feeling of loss and slaughter. I got that from the losing my little soldier icons, because they represented the real boys I have come to know.

Cynthia

There are several levels of "War Game" on the market. Many are simply ... well, I guess the best descripter would be "trash." ... The balance between realism, playability and appeal to market segment usually forces compromises which the serious historian and the accomplished military commander find go too far.

That said. I did, albeit, thirty years ago, a lot of research on the BA during the period 1706-1746 (Think Barry Linden) and found the stereotypes of the battles foisted upon us in our formative American Revolution education to be groundless. Along comes:

hnm-header.gif

and once you get the hang of what is going on and let the game play ... it DOES give what I can figure was the actual feeling of what 18th Century military commanders faced. When you play Minden or Fontenoy (sp) or the battles of the American Revolution, it works.

There were several produced for the American Civil War a couple of years back that did well - Antiedem and Gettysburg - using a real time game system that seemed to work as well ...

War gaming can be good and illustrative, but you've got to get over the sense that men died or are dying on your decisions. I play in the sense to understand what the great Captains faced and how they won ... I would very much welcome some sort of well done WWI simulation ...

These are two links I have used.

Great!

Shrapnel Games

Sometimes over-reaches and is either too complex or too simple:

HPS Games

why not join your local re enactment group and live the real thing?

or join the army

...or why not do all of the above?!

At least when its cold and wet you can sit by the PC with a glass of port... :D

At least when its cold and wet you can sit by the PC with a glass of port...

By far and away the most sensible suggestion so far!

der nothing better than sitting in a lovely billet room in warm surge with a lovely glass of port