Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dazzle Camouflage

David Filsell

The current camouflage exhibition at the IWM excited some press comment in regard to dazzle camouflage. One article in the Daily Telegraph indicated that its success was unproven, quoting a post Great War admiralty study. I was under the impression that it was successful, not in hiding the ships, but in making their course and speed difficult to evaluate by other ships, partucularly submarines. Somewhere in the back of my mind is a comment by a U Boat commander which made just such a coment. Any thoughts - or better facts - out there?

Commander Cyril Ward reported on the 18th of October 1917:

At about 9:30am on Wednesday, 17th October, whilst proceeding up the Firth of Clyde in H.M.S ‘Mischief,’ I observed a convoy of some eight ships, oilers, etc., proceeding to sea in a single line ahead. No. 6 in the line was ‘dazzle-painted,’ and appeared to me to be steering at least eight points different to the other ships in the line. So remarkable was this optical illusion that I sent for all my officers and asked their opinion as to the course of the ship. Not one officer agreed within four points. This optical illusion remained until the ship in question was past our beam, when it was seen that she was steering the same course as the others.

More info, and a thesis on the subject, can be found here.

Tom

Studies from ww2 by the US NAVY apparently do confirm that in principle under certain weather conditions that dazzle painting or camouflage did work.

John