Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

NF and GF

Robert Dunlop

Robert, I am fairly sure this is something to do with artillery spotting - with wireless signals sent from aeroplanes.

As well as NF and GF, I know that the letters LL were used.

If you don't get an answer soon, I'll check through my books. I know I have read about these terms recently, but I just can't think where.

I'm now as frustrated as you are.....

Robert,

In the Table of Procedure Signals (Signal Training, Part VI, Procedure, September, 1918) the following codes are listed as;

N...NOT (nothing) received

G...Repeat back message

F...Message following is not to be answered

(N.B. there is a difference between 'answering' a message and 'repeating' a message.)

Now, these were standard procedure signals but it doesn't mean it is the answer. It would help if the message you are trying to decypher is given in context and also the date of transmission. It also would be helpful to know the method of transmission - as W/T, L/T, Semaphore, etc., had slightly differing procedure signals.

best regards,

Chris

Ubique

And...for Mr. Racing Teapots,

LL...Used by itself or after Q to signify "Use perforated nightscreen or diminish the intensity of your light," when, for tactical or other reasons, the station receiving the signal is using a too powerful light.

Same reference.

regards,

Chris

Chris

Have a look at this. The acronyms NF, GF and LL are in the section marked Wireless.

Extract from the report on the Organization etc. of the IX Corps Artillery during the Operations from 10th to 21st April, 1918; May 1918

Source: Appendix 17 of OH 1918, vol. 2

By Brigadier-General G. Humphreys, Commanding Royal Artillery, IX Corps

Counter Battery

Counter Battery work was only carried out when good targets presented themselves—very little area neutralization was attempted.

When a hostile attack is launched or imminent, the all important target, on which the fire of every possible gun should be directed, is the enemy infantry. This fact appears an obvious one, but I do not think it is perhaps sufficiently appreciated by some heavy gunners who during trench warfare are inclined to get a distorted view of the importance of counter battery work.

During a moving battle I think the C.B.S.O. and his staff can be most usefully employed in organizing a service of information by means of Field Survey posts and counter battery O.Ps. and distributing the information to divisions, etc. By this means he not only performs useful work at the time but also keeps track of hostile batteries with the view of restarting regular counter battery work as soon as the line becomes stable.

Wireless

During the operations one aeroplane was always available for work with the artillery—L.L., G.F. and N.F. calls were the only calls sent.

All masts were installed by H.A. and D.As. [Divisional Artilleries] but owing to misty weather not many calls were sent, though records of some effective L.L., G.F. and N.F. calls were received.

That seems to be a much more relevant interpretation. Well done. It shows how efficiently this forum works.

Chris

"I'm now as frustrated as you are!"

If this information has already appeared I appologize for the duplication.

GF followed by a location means "fleeting target at .. ". NF means "batteries in position at .. ". LL was only to be used in case of really important targets and demanded "as powerful a concentration of fire as the situation admits".

Brilliant. This would fit exactly. I do not have the exact messages. The acronyms appeared in the records of the 303rd Siege Battery and the 14th Heavy Battery, both of which I have just finished reading.

Thanks

Robert