Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cardington Sheds

broadtown

post-17086-1176193085.jpgHaving just been up to the Cardington Sheds (Quite literally!) I discovered that one was relocated from Pulham in the 20s. My question is this - which one is which?

I suspect the nice clean green one is the extended R101 shed whilst the tatty one is the Pulham refugee!

They look very similar, apart from the paint job and that looks too new to be contemporary with the R101. I heard yesterday that they are promoting the Sheds as a hidden tourist attraction.

Although airships are kept in Sheds, rather than Hangars, those at Cardington are generally referred to as Hangars 1 and 2.

'Hangar 1' is the tatty one of the two. This shed was built in 1916 by a Glasgow firm and enlarged in 1926 to house the R101.

'Hangar 2' was relocated from Pulham c.1928 to house the R100. This shed was completely restored about 15 years ago (hence its "nice clean green" appearance).

Although airships are kept in Sheds, rather than Hangars, those at Cardington are generally referred to as Hangars 1 and 2.

'Hangar 1' is the tatty one of the two. This shed was built in 1916 by a Glasgow firm and enlarged in 1926 to house the R101.

'Hangar 2' was relocated from Pulham c.1928 to house the R100. This shed was completely restored about 15 years ago (hence its "nice clean green" appearance).

I believe hangar 2 was made a 'Grade 2 Listed' building, hence its nice clean green appearance. The other was considered of no real historical importance, hence its dowdy appearance.

Both Sheds are Grade 2 listed buildings and No1 is on the 'Buildings at Risk Register'. The estimated cost of refurbishment is in excess of £5 million.

No2 Shed was restored by the Buildings Research Establishment which used the massive covered area for testing buidling methods and materials.

I seem to remember something about one of the sheds being used for testing of fire equipment, with a spin off into filming fire scenes for TV etc?

Daggers

The Building Research Establishment used Shed 2 for, amongst other things, fire testing. It has also recently been leased by Warner Bros. for filming Batman and has been used by a number of other media / entertainment companies for filming and stage preparation.