Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Menin Road Museum

CROONAERT

Can anyone remember the museum that was on the Menin Road (in the houses on the right as you approach the Hill 62 turn-off from the direction of Ieper)?

I've been having a (friendly!) arguement with someone who says that there was never one there in my lifetime, yet I have very clear memories of it. I've been going to Ieper since the 1970's and seem to remember it still there in the early '80s. I recall it was something to do with the Schier family?

Did it exist in the post 1970's world, or is my memory playing tricks on me? :unsure:

Thanks,

Dave.

Dave,

The "Canada" is on the corner of the turn off. There is a militaria fair there once a month.

Or do you mean "Het Kanon", some 250 meters before it, near Birr Cross Roads Cemetery ?

If one or both of them before was a museum ? No idea.

Time for Jacky P. to move in now...

Aurel

The museum you are referring to was in the row of houses along the Menin Road, in the direction of Ypres, just after the turning for Hill 62. It was only there for a short time in the 1980s. It did not exist on that site in the 70s. The collection is still in the hands of the same person, and is now at Hill 60 in the QVR cafe.

It has nothing to do with the Canada cafe.

Sorry to disappoint but I was nowere near Ypres in the 70's and 80's. However I recall that there was indeed a private museum where Paul is situating it. Could even have been an annexe to the pub 'Het Kanon'.

'The Canada' is the place were every 3th Sunday of the month a miltary fair is taking place. If I remember well there use to be one at 'Het Kanon' and it possibly still exists.

Jacky

The Canada is one of those mysterious Belgian bars that I can never recall being open on the dozens of occasions I have cycled or driven past it.

Thanks guys,especially Paul, for confirming for me that I'm not actually going senile!!! :D

Dave.