Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Spite' from Haig!

armourersergeant

I was wondering if anyone had come across any instances of Haig not advancing an officer below him due to some incident that had happened in the passed.

I am convinced that Haig stopped the advancement of General Forestier-Walker due to some dislike or other rather than the fact the officer was no good. All the eviednce seems to show that F-W was a competant officer he was even recommended by Robertson as being good but Haig did not take up the offer of him and he saw out the war in Salonika.

F-W had a spat with J Gough who before his death was Haigs Cheif of staff and also F-W was in charge of 21st div at Loos which did badly but that was not really his fault as they should never have been committed.

I am trying to see if their is a good case to bring against Haig for letting his personel feelings get in the way.

Any examples greatly appreciated.

Arm.

I may have told you this before and I cannot verify this or provide a source but I once remember hearing, or reading somewhere, that Haig confirmed a SAD because he disliked the Corp Commander who had recommended clemency in this particular case.

ps - at the 12th attempt tonight I managed to get back on line at home! :)