The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Lt. G. H. F. Maude, 8th Royal Fusiliers

BottsGreys

Remembering:

2nd Lieutenant Gervase Henry Francis Maude

8th Royal Fusiliers

Died: 09/04/1917

Son of Gerald Edward and Edith Caroline Maude C.B.E., of 14, Cranley Place, South Kensington, London.

Cemetery: Duisans British Cemetery, Etrun

Below: G.H.F. Maude as a member of D Company, Royal Military College, June 1915.

Chris

post-1571-1176080843.jpg

Maude was originally commissioned in the 4th East Surreys on 15/8/14. He then decided to take a Regular commission and so relinquished his temporary one and went to Sandhurst in March 1915. He joined 8 RF in late 1916. He fell during the 8 RF attack on the first day of the Battle of Arras having been hit by a bullet in the stomach and dying shortly afterwards from his wound.

Charles M

Charles:

Thanks for sharing the info. about Maude--greatly appreciated. Of a total of 65 cadets in the photo, I have been able to identify 21 as having perished during the war.

Chris

My Great Uncle Samuel R. Parsons was also at Sandhurst around the same time. He also was KIA April 9, 1917. Is he on your list? is it possible to post the group photo? I have no photo of him save one at about age 7.

BG

Thank you so much for looking. Checking the thread it is poignant to see how many KIA during the war.

• 2 years later...

Remembering today--just bringing this one back up on the 93rd Anniversary of Lt. Maude's death.

Chris

• 1 year later...

Remembering today--bringing this one back up on the 95th anniversary of Lt. Maude's death.

Chris

• 9 years later...

I've just found a page detailing the active service of 2Lt G H F Maude in a completely unrelated Army Service Record during my research at the National Archives. It probably doesn't add much to what you already know except that it gives dates of a brief attachment to the RFC as well as a couple of periods of leave. 

1619144446_Servicedetailsfor2LtGHFMaude.jpg.6335a0936422f8fa242315ad481c9d8e.jpg