Jump to content
Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

LEEDS building company

marc glorieux

Recommended Posts

One of the men I search worked before and during the war, until he joined the army, as builder (bricklayer) by “WADES SYKES BUILDERS” from Leeds. I am afraid that this building company don’t exist today.

Is there a successor (or taken over) known?

If positive, is there a possibility to find the date that my man leaved the building company to the army; I think on a payroll, a list of contributions to pay, etc …

Thanks in advance for the reply


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello Marc,

There's a link here to the West Yorkshire Archives, and it's possible there's something in here. Now I have great deal of difficulty accessing this site, so if it's alright, I'll leave it up to you :lol: Alternatively, Leicester University has scanned a number of trade directories, and you might find what you're looking for there. If you have no joy, I'll have a look through a couple of them when the library re-opens next week.





Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello Marc,

What is the name, rank, number and Regiment of your 'man' ? I think you would be extremely lucky to trace him via the records of “WADES SYKES BUILDERS” from Leeds. There may be better sources to trace him.



Link to comment
Share on other sites

thank you Kath, Dave, Ron and Ady for the hints;

reseach can going on , (in the hope to find results)

it concerns private F Cade, he was formerly part of west-riding rgt (service number 16926)

and later transfered as 49704 to 1/9 The king's (Liverpool rgt)

his kew-papers are burned, so its difficult to know his military life.

he died on 22 sept 1917 and is buried at tyne cot cemetery

Link to comment
Share on other sites


The following is from "The Story of the "9th King's" in France" by Herbert & Roberts, Published in 1922.

"Towards 5-30 p.m. (21st September 1917)in the evening the enemy opened fire with a heavy barrage of all calibres. The fire was particularly intense at Gallipoli

Farm, where the company commander had himself relieved the sentry on

look-out at his headquarters, until he was blown almost senseless by the

violence of the concussion of a shell which burst almost on top of him.

Afterwards the Germans advanced, but they were seen by the men and

repulsed by machine gun fire. A party of Germans was observed carrying a

stretcher and a white flag. It was a favourite device of the enemy to

pretend that they were carrying a stretcher when they were actually

carrying a machine gun, and in consequence this particular party was soon


Towards dark on the 21st the enemy put down another heavy barrage on the

line of Somme Farm. He was apparently delivering another counter-attack.

After it had been kept up some time great consternation prevailed at

Battalion headquarters. No word had been received from the troops in

front. Perhaps the enemy had captured the front positions, and that the

line was lost. The barrage was still intense, and anyone who should dare

to advance through it would expect to meet with almost certain death. Yet

some one had to go to ascertain if all was well or ill. The Commanding

Officer made arrangements to burn all papers and told everyone they must

fight to the last where they stood. The Second in Command ultimately

managed to get to Somme Farm and came back with the information that all

was well, which was of inestimable worth, for had the British barrage

lines been withdrawn, as had been suggested, the troops in front would all

have been sacrificed.

On the 22nd September the Battalion was relieved. The greatest care was

taken to get the captured machine guns that were not needed for the

defence back to the transport lines. They were collected at Battalion

headquarters and carefully escorted to the neighbourhood of the old

British front line near Potijze, where they were met by the transport

officer, and duly delivered to Divisional headquarters.

Having been relieved the men made their way back in small parties to

Vlamertinghe, where the night was spent. The next day the Battalion moved

by train to a camp by Watou. Two or three days were spent here, and then

the Battalion detrained to go down south to join General Byng's Third


Link to comment
Share on other sites

[The following is from "The Story of the "9th King's" in France" by Herbert & Roberts, Published in 1922.]


many thanks for that information. much appreciated.


Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello Marc,

Two references, same address, which is quite close to the Headingley-Hyde Park area, and near to Woodhouse Moor and the old Leeds Grammar School. The link isn't a particularly good example, but it's better than nothing. :)

Wade, W. [W. Wade and Co., Builders] 41 St. John's Grove [Robinson's Leeds Directory. 1909. p. 823]

Wade W Sykes and Co. Ltd., Builders. St. John's Grove TN [Tel] 2033 [Kelly's Directory of Leeds. 1915 Part 2. p. 854]




Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Create New...