Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sopwith's 324 & 325.

Roger D

A few months prior to WW1 but I hope you'll forgive me for that......

I was reading through an old copy of the Aldershot News recently and found quite a detailed report on what, it was stated at the inquest, was the first collision between two planes in the UK. It occured at Farnborough on 12/5/14. The report listed the two planes as Sopwiths registrations 324 and 325. Is anyone able give more details as to the model etc please?

Incidentally what happened was the two planes ended up flying one above the other. The pilot in 325, 2nd Lieutenant Wilson, descended to land and struck 234. Both planes ended up on the 10th Green of the local golf course and the first man on the scene was Lady Haig's gardener. Wilson lived but the two men in 324, Air Mechanic Carter and Captain E.V. Anderson, were both killed and are buried at Aldershot Military Cemetery.

**Serial numbers edited in view of what follows.**

Mick.

Help me please my book has 234 & 235 as Bristol built BE2a what have I done???

Tim.

That will teach me to rush things - they were Sopwiths but 324 and 325 - sorry

My fault, not Micks. I have just double checked the original notes I made from the newspaper and it does indeed read 324 and 325, I have transposed the first two digits in my initial posting. Apologies for the confusion caused and thank you both for your input. Incidentally both were all but new planes, Anderson's machine had only about 2 hours flying time whilst Wilson's had 4/5 hours.