Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

David BAIN - died Arras 1917

Toni

Does anyone know how I can determine positively if this is our man?

Private David BAIN - SP/3633 Royal Fusiliers 24 Bn; died 30th April 1917 Grave Ref: Bay 3 Arras

We know our David died in Arras, but my one uncle thought 1916, his brother said 1917. Neither uncle had been born until several years later. They remained close to David's children over the years, so I'm sure one of them is correct.

Our David was married, to Thomasina nee BROWN. They lived in Glasgow and had 4 children - the youngest he never saw. He was born c1889 Glasgow, the son of William BAIN and Elizabeth BLAND.

The David in the Royal Fusiliers is the only BAIN I could find on the CWGC which seem to fit, but unfortunately next of kin is not listed. I'm not totally convinced this is our David, because I cannot help asking myself why a bloke from Glasgow would join up with a London based unit and/or how would he end up in it?

Can someone help in anyway? I'd be most grateful.

Toni ~ Ontario

Hello Toni, the Soldiers Died in the Great War (SDGW) has the following entry for David Bain

David Bain Private SP/3633 24th Bn Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regiment)

Born Methven

Enlisted London

Residence Perth

KIA 30/04/1917 France & Flanders

Does any of this info fit with what you already know ?

There are several other David Bains listed, some of Scottish ancestry.

I have enclosed a pdf file with all of the David Bains from SDGW here for you and hope it is of some help.

Jarvis

Hello Toni, the Soldiers Died in the Great War (SDGW) has the following entry for David Bain

David Bain Private SP/3633 24th Bn Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regiment)

Born Methven

Enlisted London

Residence Perth

KIA 30/04/1917 France & Flanders

Does any of this info fit with what you already know ?

There are several other David Bains listed, some of Scottish ancestry.

I have enclosed info for David Bain's died 1916-1917 from SDGW here for you and hope it is of some help.

post-15884-1175998902.jpg

Jarvis

Many thanks Jarvis.

Looks like the one I thought was him is not. Our David was definately born in Glasgow. I don't recall seeing the one born Barony Glasgow before. That one would have caught my eye for sure, as Barony was the area of Glasgow his family (wife, children, plus parents) were living when he went overseas. As I said, I did wonder why he'd be in a London based Bn. I would have expected him to be in a Scottish one.

We also know our David died of his wounds, not killed outright. Both my uncles claimed David had died in a Canadian Field Hospital.

How could I find out who his NOK were? That would cinch it, for I'd expect his wife Thomasina to be listed and perhaps his parents named as well. Thomasina was my grandmother's sister.

Many thanks again for the names/list.

Toni

Hello Toni, hopefully you are now on the right track with this chap.

SDGW records him as :

David Bain Private S/23343 5th Bn Queens Own Cameron Highlanders

Born Barony, Glasgow, Lanarkshire

Enlisted Glasgow

Residence Glasgow

DOW 06/06/1917 France & Flanders

CWGC records him as :

Name: BAIN

Initials: D

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Cameron Highlanders

Unit Text: 5th Bn.

Date of Death: 06/06/1917

Service No: 23343

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: III. A. 19.

Cemetery: ABBEVILLE COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION

The National Archive holds his Medal Index Card which will show you his medal entitlements and can be downloaded (For £3.50) from the link below :

Medal card of Bain, David

Cameron Highlanders S23343 Private

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...;resultcount=52

I think what you now need is for a 1901 census on him which should show where he was living and who was resident at that time. ie: probably his parents and other siblings.

Alas, my skills fall short here and hopefully another GWF member can assist you on this. If no help is forthcoming I suggest you post a new thread requesting 1901 census for David Bain of Glasgow.

There are several experts on census lookups here on the forum who I am sure will help you further.

Also, it might be useful to find out what the 5th Bn Queens Own Cameron Highlanders were doing and where they were in June 1917, which may help to find out how and where he died of his wounds and why he is to be found at Abbeville Communal Cemetery Extension.

Once again, there will GWF members who should be able to assist.

Jarvis

Cheers Jarvis. I do have an census data, plus marriage cert for 'our' David. I've been accummulating data for some time, as I know some of his grandchildren are in Australia and I've been trying to find them for the past 5 years ~ don't know who they are! Rather sad, as Thomasina died in 1922, leaving the 4 children orphaned. The eldest William was shipped off to Australia c1922/23 at age 15, never to be heard from again. I have data/info on the 3 remaining children.

It's been finding out exactly which David BAIN listed in CWGC belongs to us. I had hoped his NOK would have cinched it. If NOK is not stated on the info which we can see on site (as you posted here), is it possible it is there in the d/l version? I'm not certain how much is hidden only to be found if you buy the documents from the CWGC. What about the Medal Card? I'd gladly order both, if I thought there was a chance I'd learn for certain if he is 'our David'.

Do you think perhaps the Cameron Highlanders themselves (museum/reg'tal offices etc) might be able to help? I've never tried to find a serviceman in the UK before, so am not quite certain how to go about it.

Any suggestions/help would be most appreciated.

Toni ~ Ontario

5th Cameron Highlanders were part of the 26th Bgde of 9th Divn. They had been near Arras to the north of the Scarpe for some time, preparing for the Battle of Arras. 9th April 1917. On the day, they took part in a tremendous advance. The furthest in 1 day of the war up to then. They later, 12th April, attacked the chemical factory near Roeux. This was unsuccessful and 9th Div took very heavy casualties.

Hello Toni, I dont think the MIC will clinch ID of David for you.

What would almost certainly do that is a visit to Kew, where the National Archives may hold his service records, but, that is only if they have survived the blitz from WW2 (a large proportion were destroyed).

If you can get someone to visit for you (maybe ask nicely and hopefully a GWF member will oblige) and his records have survived then you may find a wealth of info, including NOK, home address, etc.

I live too far from Kew and have never visited yet myself, but have several examples of servicemens records that have been provided for me via GWF members who do visit Kew. These items can include copies of Death Telegram, letters to the army from Fathers/Mothers or Wives of the soldier, in fact sometimes up to 60 articles or forms per man.

If no one steps in to offer help here perhaps raise another posting asking for Kew help ?

Because of your location it is obviously not going to be easy for you to visit yourself so hopefully someone will oblige. Good Luck.

Jarvis