Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New Zealand Tank at 2nd Gaza?

TerryK

The enclose photo is said to be of one of the tanks used in the 2nd Battle of Gaza. Its name is HMLS 'Kia Ora'. The name is a Maori greeting. Is this one of the names of the six tanks employed at 2nd Gaza?

post-7908-1175901858.jpg

Terry,

The commander of the Tank "HMLS 'Kia Ora" was 2/Lt Roy Ansted Winder Ex Middlesex Regiment later Captain Tank Corps.

This Tank suported the 155th Bde and it survived the battle.

Lt Winder was comended after the battle for his actions and awarded the MC, but I don't know why he should name his tank that name.

Its of cause possible he may have been a NZ lander but my sourse don't give that.

Cheers

S.B

Guest Bill Woerlee

Terry

G'day mate

This is the brakdown of tank holdings at Gaza 2:

52nd Div - HMLS Otazel, Kia-ora, Pincher and War Baby.

53rd Div - HMLS Tiger and Ole-Luk-Oie.

54th Div - HMLS Nutty and Sir Archibald.

There is some wonderful film footage of HMLS Otazel ploughing through the cactus hedges at the AWM.

Cheers

Bill

Thanks Bill and Steve. So there were eight tanks used, not six?

Terry

Terry

Its name is HMLS 'Kia Ora'. The name is a Maori greeting. And I thought it was named after an orange drink, that was available as crystals at the time, which you re-hydrated with water.

Bill

There is some wonderful film footage of HMLS Otazel ploughing through the cactus hedges at the AWM.

would any of this footage, and other shots of the build up to the Gaza battles, be available from the AWM on DVD?

Gareth

Lt Winder's daughter Elizabeth is forum member E Winder

Roy Winder was born in Gravesend, Kent in 1894. He attended Rochester School. He was commissioned into 8th (Territorial) Bn of the Middlesex Regt then was attached to the Heavy Section of the Machine Gun Corps on 28 Apr 1916. He was deployed with E Company to the Middle East and was in command of the female tank, Kia Ora.

He must have later transferred to the Tank Corps as the London Gazette shows that he was promoted temporary Captain on 19th October 1918. On 12th Jul 1920, he ceased employment with the Tank Corps and returned to the establishment of 8th Bn Middx Regt; i.e the unit into which he was first commissioned; on this date he also lost his temporary rank of Captain. He eventually relinquished his commission (as a TA Middx Regt officer in the rank of Lieutenant) on 20th Sep 1921; the London Gazette (issue 32555) confirming that he was granted the rank of Capt. He moved to Australia in the 1930s, settling in Melbourne.

Guest Bill Woerlee

Gareth

G'day mate

Bad luck for you because it is still on the ol' steam driven video tape.

However, if you want to have a copy of the clip in mpg form, send me an email and you can have it. I might add that the picture quality is a bit grainy but it is the best that can be done.

Cheers

Bill

• 10 months later...
Gareth

G'day mate

Bad luck for you because it is still on the ol' steam driven video tape.

However, if you want to have a copy of the clip in mpg form, send me an email and you can have it. I might add that the picture quality is a bit grainy but it is the best that can be done.

Cheers

Bill

Hello Bill,

We corresponded quite a while ago about HMLS Otazel - if you'd be willing to send me the .mpg clip of the tank I'd be extremely grateful - my e-mail address is ... ***************... thanks in anticipation. Regards, Rob.

Thanks Bill and Steve. So there were eight tanks used, not six?

Terry

6 were used and 2 in reserve.

Terry, as a New Zealander, I had the same initial reaction that you did. I believe the name of the tank came from another source. I don't have the reference with me but will check when I get back.

Robert

Mates,

Of cause the naming of the most well know tank at 2nd Gaza is still to be worked on, but my best guess that the Tank HMLS Nutty was named after the Commanding officer Maj Nutt.

Also you may ask why would that be so even if he (Maj Nutt) had no command of that tank and why would a junior officer name his Tank after the CO of the Company?

Buts that the best I can work out.

S.B

Gwyn, it is a greeting that means 'good health' or 'I wish you health'. From my experience, it was not used like 'bottoms up'. It is also used as an affirmation by members of an audience during a presentation - something akin to 'nice point'.

Robert