Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A beeline?

Guest Helberg

I'm currently reading Field Marshal Lord Carver's "Britain's Army in the 20th Century," and in the chapter dealing with the war in Burma I came over this account from a Captain Norman Durant, of the 1st South Staffordshires (p.306):

"...They seemed to be covered by two snipers so David Wilcox stationed himself where he might be able to get a shot and someone else began rustling the bushes nearby. The Jap moved and standing up David shot him at the same time getting a graze under his chin from the second sniper's bullet. But he saw him as well and having a beeline was able to fire quickly enough to get him.."

Which made me wonder; what on earth is a beeline? Some mechanism which enabled the rifleman to fire the Enfield quicker?

Hi Helberg,

I think he means he got a straight, clear shot at the jap sniper, that's all.

Regards,

gordon

Which made me wonder; what on earth is a beeline? Some mechanism which enabled the rifleman to fire the Enfield quicker?

But Gordon, wasn't a "Beeline" also a little dance done by soldier Masons to indicate that they had an enemy soldier "Four Square" in view? :wacko:

Guest Jeff Floyd

It's a clear shot that doesn't require a set up; essentially, the sniper has the ability to shoot without using a scope, and not have to sort out precisely where the target is.