Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

25th Squadron Machine Gun Corps (Cavalry)

dorrie

Name: BRIGGS, FRANK

Initials: F

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Machine Gun Corps (Cavalry)

Unit Text: 25th Sqdn.

Date of Death: 30/10/1918

Service No: 100215

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Panel 41.

FORMERLY 4770, A/1ST NOTTS (S.R.) YEO.

Researching the above named soldier and I amtrying to find out about the Squadron he was in particularly movements around the tiem of his death I know he died of wounds in Mesopotamia and his name is on the BAsra Mem.

Thanks any info gratefully recievd

Tim

Tim

Have you seen the page in the Long Long Trail on Mespot ?

http://www.1914-1918.net/mesopot.htm

There doesn't seem to be much detail on the 1918 actions there.though there is ref to some books that have a story.

I see that your subject is remembered on the Basra Memorial (apparently no longer in Basra), among 40,658 others with no known grave in a very inhospitable climate in all aspects.

I also took a look in the NA records for a War Diary for 25 Squadron MGC.and didn't find one. It is probably within the Division Diary that it served. I did find 22 to 24 Squadrons attached to Indian Divisions serving in Mespot but no 25,nor was there a 25th in the list of MGC units !

The War Diary WO95/5494 does apparently have a full list of MGC units and where they were deployed. I have tried to read this twice in my last two visits and never get it supplied. There is no explanation. I just presume that someone ordered it before me,but it may be that someone is working on catalogue-ing it for all to see as this particular Diary has all sorts of uit deployments,such as RE/RASC etc.

Sorry I can't give a straight answer to your question !

Best wishes

Sotonmate

It's strange that there is no 25th Squadron ( Icouldnt find one) thats one of the reasons for posting, however that is what is stated on the SDGW and CWGC!

Thansk for help any way.

Tim

• 2 months later...

Hi there,

My own records (based on Gould, R.W. (1977). Locations of British Cavalry, Infantry and Machine Gun Units 1914-1924. London, UK: Heraldine Ltd.) indicate that 25 Sqn, MGC© served in India (May 1918) and Mesopotamia (July 1918). I am not as far advanced with my website research as I would wish so I cannot give you any further information but I hope this is of use.

Richard

Hi Tim,

25th Sqdn was with the 11th Indian cavalry Bde in Mespot arriving there in March 1918.

Between 28 and 30th October 1918 they were involved in Battle of the Sharqat (7th and 11th Cav Bdes).

KOYLI

Mate,

I have the 26th MG Sqn as attached to the Camel Brigade.

Its also recorded as the 265th MG Co, but is known by the 26th MG Sqn in the ICC records but when the 265 MG Co name come into it is unknown.

the 26th MG Sqn was raised possibly late 1916 or 1917 in Egypt from the Scottish Horse Yeomanry.

Cheers

S.B