Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Journalists out in France with the Army

Will O'Brien

I know a number of Journalists went out to France/Flanders in that capacity........ Baron Beaverbrook springs to mind who went out with the Canadians to France in 1915. Were these men classified as civilians or military personnel?................. also did they quality for medals as being journalists?

I think, but I'm not sure that journalists were classified as civilians and they were not eligible to recieve medals for that reason. Most of the journalists were around GHQ in Montreuil.

From,

Thomas McCall

P.S there is a small piece about journalists in the 'Somme' by Lyn Macdonald but I can't remember where at the moment.

There was no proper war reporting at first. The generals did not want any reporters in the war zone at all. Eventually, there emerged a post of official "eye witness" which permitted chosen reporters some access to the military.

In Beaverbrook's case (he was Sir Max Aitken then), he wangled his post from the Canadian government along with the rank of honourary colonel. He wore a uniform when in France, but in other respects was a civilian. In fact, he was still a press baron and a member of parliament.

Thomas & James..............thanks very much for your thoughts on this one

In Beaverbrook's case (he was Sir Max Aitken then), he wangled his post from the Canadian government along with the rank of honourary colonel. He wore a uniform when in France, but in other respects was a civilian.

James your point here is interesting & has me wondering whether Beaverbrook would have qualified for medals on the basis of this honourary rank.............Back to the books me thinks to see if they give any clue :D

I have a book at home (in the office and can't remember the title) of memoirs written during the war by a British journalist with the belgian army.

He says that one day he was called in by the general commanding the division and told that he had to go back to paris or britain as the British High Command objected strongly to journalists being at the front. The intimation being that they were writing what was really happening rather than what the generals wanted to put out.

The Belgians apologised profusely, saying that they were delighted to have him, he had done a wonderful job, but that british pressure was, in the end, just too much.

Obviously his book was written to make this public.

Philip Gibbs was a journalist at the time and he wrote at least two books. One of them is called "Now it can be told". I know he wrote more and if memory serves me right examples of his work can be found in the "In Flanders Field" exhibition in Ieper.

I got the impression from what he wrote that they weren't allowed too close to the front but got close enough to realise what was happening.

I do however have a book by an American, his surname is Peixotto, and he was employed as a war artist and the Americans allowed him into the front line. He illustrated his book with some really good drawings. At least as good as those in Read's "Of those we loved".

Garth

Healdav & Garth...............It doesn't surprise me that journalists were not the most popular of people, particularly with the senior Officers....................although I also understand why.

i think that the cloth hall in ypres ran a exhibition on journailists.