Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SRD Jars

auchonvillerssomme

I think between Joes post and that old thread the answers have more or less been made clear, although I wonder where the idea of the coloured bands denoting contents now sits? WW1 practice? Or WW2 practice, but retroactively and incorrectly applied to WW1? Or ???

Seem to remember a large pic on Le Tommy's wall showing a (IIRC) behind the lines pic with a huge number of jars in shot, cannot remember if they were bare or not - anyone else recall it out of interest? Over the years I have also seen hundreds of jars at countless French fairs/points of sale - but maybe only one or two still in wicker.

Gunner Bailey,

Jars did indeed come wickered.

Go the following post to see some info:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...post&p=8811

However, If we are talking just about the use of these jars for Rum, or Lime juice, then the ASC instructions state that.

Rum in 2 1 Gal Jars (unwickered i.e no wicker cover) is shipped in cases marked "M. 10"

Lime juice was also shipped the same way-unwickered with "Lime Juice" marked on the case.

Lime juice also was stored 4 lb bottles 10 to a case.

Rum was only shipped in 1 gal jars.

Joe Sweeney

Thanks Joe,

I'm pleased to have been more than half right, and also always pleased to learn.

Gunner Bailey

• 1 month later...

Just to bring this back to the top, some pictures of my SRD jar in its original (and rather disintegrated) wicker cover with the red band painted around it:

Close up of the July 1942 dated stores label:

And the base:

post-2039-1183040301.jpg

post-2039-1183040422.jpg

post-2039-1183040523.jpg

Andrew,

You may find the attached of interest. Attached is the LoC for the whickered stone bottles. Might be the wickered bottles were meant for liquids not meant for drinking.

As far as I can tell the stone bottle and jar were very similar in dimensions except for some acceptance testing of the 1gall/10lb jar had to go through and the ellusive stone stoppers. However, by the LoC you can see that depending on what was carried these too were corked.

I also thinkj that by ASC vernacular usage a jar was a bottle and a bottle was a jar.

I do not have all the LoC for this so I would not consider this diffinative by any means.

In addition you may find the following of interest: This was contractual language that governed Lime Juice/Rum Jar procurement circa 1910:

"The jars to be of stoneware, highly glazed inside and outside, and to be thoroughly burnt.

Jars to hold 1 gallon liquid measure.

Height of jar bottom to top 13 inches

“ “ bottom to shoulder 9 1/8 inches

Diameter at shoulder and bottom 7 inches

Size at mouth (to take taper cork) 7/8 inches

Each Jar to be fitted with a handle of the following specification:----

(1) The handle supplied must conform in all particulars with the sample deposited at the Supply Reserve Depot, Woolwich Dockyard.

(2) They are to be made of the best Staffordshire wrought iron wire, or wire of equal quality, or of best mild steel wire, and must be well and properly tinned

(3) They must be made and shaped the same way as the sample.

(4) The spiral grip is to be 5/8 of an inch (bare) in diameter, 3 3/8 inches in length, and No. 12 W.G. The bails, or sides, are to be of No. 9 W.G. and the clips of No. 12 W.G.

(5) The handles are to be fixed to the jar by a split pin, 1 inch in length, and No. 7 W.G. in diameter. The split pins are to be well tinned.

The makers name to be stamped on the bottom of each jar, and the letters "S.R.D." to be burnt in, about midway, between shoulder and neck of jars.

Before delivery the contractor will subject each jar to a pressure of 10lbs to the square inch, and no jar which does not stand this test is to be delivered under this contract."

Joe Sweeney

post-57-1183061633.jpg

Thanks for that Joe, some very interesting bits there - I'd always assumed that ordinary corks were used to seal the jars, but for stuff like acid a stone stopper makes a lot more sense!

Whilst I remember, I've finished modifying my greatcoat with buttons and tabs, and also made a few copies of the ration bags from your descriptions, I'll have to see about getting a few pictures up in the relevant threads.

Whilst I remember, I've finished modifying my greatcoat with buttons and tabs, and also made a few copies of the ration bags from your descriptions, I'll have to see about getting a few pictures up in the relevant threads.

Andrew,

Looking forward to the pics.

Joe Sweeney

• 1 month later...

I've just aquired SRD jars, contents intact, these come in whicker baskets with red band painted around,two jars per wooden packing case,but not sure when they date from.