Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Selling the family jewels!

fatbob

Bob

It looks a bit dubious to me. He's sold medals previously and in his comments, he demonstrates good knowledge of them. I can't see anyone who collects medals selling stuff from his own family. Still, you never know

Michael

Guest Jeff Floyd

From the condition of the plaque, the family never took good care of it (in spite of the seller's description of "excellent condition". Maybe it will survive if it's in the hands of a collector.

Jeff Floyd

For some maybe eating and paying the bills is more important than remembering.

For some maybe eating and paying the bills is more important than remembering.

If we are talking "big bucks" you could be right.

However, some years ago I was at a boot sale in Hampshire and saw a lttle bundle of papers, on top of which was a WW2 identity card. Not wishing to show too much interest I picked up the bundle and started to thumb my way through, casually asking how much they were. I was told I could have "the lot" for £1.

"The lot" turned out to be the identity card, plus loads of photographs from the 1930s, mostly photos of bi-planes, airmen etc, but also some group photo's of children etc. I spoke to the woman selling these items, trying to find out as much as possible. She told me that her Scottish born father had been a regular in the RAF, and these were his photos!

Also, the little girl in the photo's was the woman I was speaking to. The whole experience was almost surreal. I have spent my whole life hunting down and copying old family photo's, and this woman was selling her birthright for less than the price of a cup of coffee.

I guess some people think in strange ways?

Guest Ian Bowbrick

I have to agree with Mick - very very dubious................

If it is a family heirloom the only words I can think of would get this post deleted!!!!!!!!!!

Ian

:o

I purchased an MM group in Belgium a couple of years ago which also had a nice WW1 photo.

The guy selling it said a lady got off a coach and sold them to him. She was from the Midlands. She said it was her Grandad and did not want them anymore.

He asked if she would like to keep the photo of her Grandad and was stunned at the reply " why, he is dead"

She must have only got around £60 for the medals and I was stunned to think she did not want to keep at least the photo.

Nothing queer as folk.