Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Aerial Footage of the Ypres Salient.

iain mchenry

Hi All,

Some of you will have been awaiting the video footage of the recent flight (07 Nov 03) that I did over the Salient accompanied by fellow forum members Ski (Cameraman) and Paul K (Co-Pilot).

Last week a good friend of mine spent a lot of time editing and sub-titling the footage. I met our Pals CO, Chris Baker, in Poperinge on Friday night and handed over to him the finished product on Video, DVD and CD Rom (Normal and Broadband download). If all goes well Chris hopes to have a link from the forum so all can watch. Please dont ask me any questions how this is done as I am a bit of a computer biff :blink: !!

The footage includes aerial footage of:

Polygon Wood, Zonnebeke Village and the Passendale Ridge, Tyne Cot Cem, Langemark Village and Poelcappel, Yorkshire trench (With Still footage), Ypres and the Menin Gate, Hellfire Corner looking up the Menin Rd, Hooge Crater Cem, Santury wood and Hill 62, Hill 60 and Caterpillar crater, St Eloi (1915 Crater), Hollandsheshuur Farm Crater, Petit Bois Craters, Maedelstede Fm Crater, Peckham Crater, Spanbroekmolen Crater, Kruisstraat Crater, Spanbroek Mil Cem, Wyshaete Village, Messines, Kemmel Hill, Irish Peace Tower, Petit Douve Fm, Xmas truce Site, Plugstreet Wood and Plugstreet memorial, Trench 122 Crater and Factory Farm, General flight paralell to the Messines Ridge following the major craters and over the Wyshaetebeek stream and a view from 2500 feet of the Forgotten Battlefield Boesinghe.

The Video starts with the take off and finishes with the landing (Flight to Ypres and back was not filmed......too long) Bit of a bumpy landing as you will all agree :ph34r:

Once we have this link available I will be glad to hear what you all think. I just ask you to remember, this is an amateur job, we dont work for the beeb! It was a bit gustt and turbulent up there that day so some of the footage may be a bit shaky. But it is watchable.......enjoy!

Iain

Iain,

I am sure I am one of many who want to see this footage - especially having met the entire flight crew in the Shell Hole for debriefing !

I now have a DVD recorder capable of producing DVD+R(W) copies of any DVD's so just shout if I can assist with any of these - although I presume you have DVD recording technology available to you , since you have already authored at least one DVD.

Perhaps you could now borrow a Hercules from some flyboy you nick and stuff an IMAX camera in the back for a quick circuit of Jacky and Aurel down below.

.....and here's the pilots in question, Iain on the left and Paul on the right.

post-8-1071512114.jpg

Patience, please, folks. I'm still figuring out exactly how to do this. The primary problem is the size of the files. The largest is well over 100Mb!! It would take over a hour for me to upload it, and that is on Broadband. If you all downloaded it in a month, it would cost well me over £100 in extra hosting fees!

But watch this space.

Who is that great looking pilot on the right. You cant see his face but I can guarantee the is the best looking one of the lot. :lol: You might want to add Iain that the viewers should take a gravol before watching the video. Just kidding....... It was an absolute pleasure to assist in making and I hope everybody enjoys it.

Paul

No, there are sub titles to let the viewers know where we are. So it should be easy to follow along for people who are not familiar with the area.

I understand Chris's concern with the size of the file and the cost he will incur making this video available to all. Maybe it would be an idea that if you download and enjoy the video, we can send him a small donation to help cover the cost.

Just an idea....

Paul

Chris,

I agree with John. If you were to get either CD's or DVD's made, I would more that happy to pay the Baker's Pals Forum to have a copy shipped out to Oz. It would be more practical and cheaper than even using Broadband and I am on unlimited broadband

Peter ;)

That's not a bad idea guys. It's not the operating cost that concerns me, so much as the actual practicality of the download times.

Iain and Paul provided me with four versions of the film: here they are, with file sizes.

1. RealMedia format (you would need RealPlayer, which is a free download if you don't have it). 187Mb.

2. Windows Media Player 8 format. 156Mb. At that size suitable only for Broadband and even then it's quite a download.

3. Windows Media Player 8 format. Reduced quaility, designed for 56k dialup. 5Mb.

4. Windows Media Player 8 format. Version for Pocket PCs, etc. 38Mb.

Iain/Paul: if you would be happy to make the CDs and distribute them, I'm happy to take in orders and pass them on to you. Let me know what you think.

Hi Chris, Where can one download "2. Windows Media Player 8 format. 156Mb" from yet?

Regards

Ryan

Count me in. CDRom, DVD whatever. I was flying over Glamis Castle taking photos when they were doing this flight in Ypres. Wish I could have swapped!!!

Aye

Malcolm

I would be up for purchasing a cd/dvd.

Just as a suggestion, although at the end of the day there is no reason why you can't produce both, but wouldn't the cd option be the cheapest (and probably quickest) way to distribute??

Any chance of some 'stills' being available on this site similar to http://www.westernfrontassociation.com/the...chy/cuinchy.htm

Regards

Richard