Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

March Cambs WM WW1

sadsac

Hello Chaps, researching March WW1 Memorial.

Any further info on the following Rifleman much appreciated.

What happened on the date / in this area / likely cause of loss ??

What was Battalion doing on date / C/O / other officers / losses ??

Known details ;

BARTON Charles Sydney, Rifleman, S/17967, 8th Battalion Rifle Brigade,

Lost 3 May, 1917. Commemorated on Arras Memorial, Pas De Calais.

Will KOKO, Sadsac

Sadsac

May I point you in the direction of the sister site - The Long, Long Trail (linked at the head of the page)? It gives a rough breakdown of orders of battle and main enagements.

Ian

Sadsac,

8th battalion Rifle Brigade on this date were involved at Cherisy in the Battle of Arras. Their objective was by St. George's Statue on the track between there and Triangle Wood. There were a few German machine guns in Triangle Wood that caused the casualties to the 8th.

If you need further details from the regimental side let me know.

Andy

Sadsac,

Charles address was given as 52 Skillington Street, Battersea, where he lived with his Mother, 3 Sisters and 1 Brother (2 other brothers had moved out). His Father is listed as deceased. He was 23 years old and was a Breadman at a Biscuit Factory. He was wounded in action on the 3/5/17 and listed as missing. Later this date was accepted as his date of death.

Andy

Are you aware that the March war memorial is online on the Roll of Honour site?

www.roll-of-honour.com/Cambridgeshire/March.html

I have the following ...

Charles S Barton: 29373 Spr, ‘O’ Cable Section, Royal Engineers. DoW 15-7-17 (gassed 13-7-17, admitted 47th CCS on 13-7-17), age 20. Eldest son of Samuel & Ellen Barton, 58 Norwoodside, March. Enlisted 1914, to France March 1915. Railway telegraphist at Newmarket. Boy scholar at Primitive Methodist Chapel. Dozinghem Military Cemetery, Belgium. Pic: Cambs Times 3-8-17.

I don't think your rifleman is the man on March memorial.

Chris Harley and myself have both researched men on this memorial, so he may add more.

4 new names submitted for March War Memorial - but not the rifleman

Chris

4 new names submitted for March War Memorial - but not the rifleman

Chris

Do the submissions include:

Harold Dudley CRISP (Dud)

Second Lieutenant, 36th H.D. Sqdn, Royal Flying Corps

who died on Tuesday, 6th November 1917. Age 22.

Son of Thomas and Harriet Crisp, of Oakwood, March, Cambs. Born March (1901 Census). Attended March Grammar School and commemorated there.

Missing after flying from Seaton Carew, Co Durham. "Airmen Died in the Great War" states that he was from Docking, Norfolk, and he appears on the Docking Roll of Honour. His name appears on the Hollybrook Memorial, Southampton

Ned

No I didnt know about him - however would you like me to submit him or would you like to do it your self - can give you all the contact details

Chris

Crisp appears on the March Grammar School Memorial.

Harold Dudley Crisp: 2nd Lt, 36th HD Squadron, Royal Flying Corps. Missing after flying from Seaton Carew, Co Durham, 6-11-17, age 22. Son of Thomas & Harriet Crisp, Oakwood, March. Admitted MGS 7-9-03. Hollybrook Memorial, Southampton, Hants. Also listed Docking, Norfolk.

Hello Chaps, well I seem to have started some, which will be on-going I assure you.

In THIS instance I feel a bit of a chump - seems I have got the WRONG BARTON, thanks to all for info ;

Ian, thanks for pointing me to Long Trail - great info there ! Thanks

Andy, sorry led you up a `wrong path' but your info was most interesting - Thanks

Cliff, Yes we actually have been in contact before - I know Chris and will be seeing him shortly.

Many thanks for your `Gen'.

Chris, Oh Dear, feel a bit foolish, see you in the `watering-hole' tomorrow night ??

To all - on March research - `I shall return'.

Sadsac

Shall be up the club tonight SADSAC for that silly meeting

Chris

No problem Sadsac,

I put the address and family details down as Battersea is a fair way from March.

Andy