Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Beverley Barracks

nmagson

Are there any books available which have the story of ‘Beverley Barracks’ home to the Yorkshire Regiment, depicting its history.

Kind regards,

Neil Magson

It might produce more results if you provide a bit more information regarding these barracks. Where were they located in Yorkshire (York)????

Also the Yorkshire Regiment originally comprised separate regiments - East, West etc...

What period are you interested in?

Regards

Neil

In 1874 a 10-a. site beside Queensgate, in Beverley Parks, was acquired as the site for a barracks (fn. 85) and the buildings were completed in 1877. (fn. 86) Victoria barracks, as they became known, served as the depot of the East Yorkshire Regiment, (fn. 87) as well as housing the East York Militia. During the Second World War the barracks was extended by the construction of a large hutted camp in adjoining fields. (fn. 88) After the demise of the regiment in 1958 the barracks was still used for military purposes until 1961, but was later demolished. (fn. 89) The site was sold by the Secretary of State for Defence in 1977 (fn. 90) and was largely unused in 1988.

From: 'Public Institutions', A History of the County of York East Riding: Volume 6: The borough and liberties of Beverley (1989), pp. 190-95. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.asp?compid=36442. Date accessed: 04 April 2007.

Halifax Bks (in Hull) is still in use; there seems to be nothing left of the barracks in Beverley.

Neil,

The main gateway and Permanent Staff cottages are still there, the rest of the land is now a Morrisons Supermarket. It was not however the home of the Yorkshire Regiment (Green Howards) but the home of the East Yorkshire Regiment (The Snappers). Green Howards Regimental Headquarters was in Richmond North Yorkshire.

Regards Charles

Hi good morning Charles,

Well Beverley Barracks....there’s another story...! My other grandfather was stationed there during the Second World War (my mother’s father); I know even less about his military career although we do have a photo this time, so this may be the start of another search.

Kind regards,

Neil

Neil

Two parachute mines hit the Victoria Barracks in Beverley in March, 1941 killing three soldiers and injuring another 15 people.

Dave

• 7 years later...
Guest Stevo1467

I grew up right next to the old barracks in the late '60's - early 80's. It was my playground. All the buildings were still there and we played in them constantly. I remember when they took the huts down and just left the foundations. We'd play and pick up old shell casings on the firing range. The housing estate I lived on must have been built on part of the site but it was another 20 years before they took the rest of it for building houses. There was a large open cast pit right next to the soccer field also but I'm not sure what that was all about and when it came about. Memory can play tricks but I'm pertty sure I could draw an accurate map of the sight. I'd love to learn more about the place.