Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Sentence remitted 2 years hard labour

brett361975

I am reasearching an old contemptable who was sentenced to two years hard labour. Later in his records is the following statment:

The two years imprisonment with hard labour awarded to this Nco on the 23rd September 1914 whilst serving with the 2nd Battalion Welsh Regiment has been re- considered and remitted. Auty: G Webb Brig Gen for C in Chief, Western Command. Superior authority under the act at Chester 1/6/18.

the last sentence i am presuming translates as Authority of G Webb Brigadeer General for Commander in Chief Western Command.

question 1. Was Douglas Haig Commander in Chief of Western Command?

question 2 . If so was this man pardoned on command/instruction of Douglas HAIG?

Thank you

Your Q.2. He was not pardoned - still guilty as charged. His sentence was remitted, a lesser sentence being deemed appropriate.

Any idea what it might have been remitted to? nothing is listed on his service records. Thanks

Thank you Terry i have found the name G.Webb Brigadeer General for C IN C Western Forces as the authority to remit sentence, who ever he may be i raise a toast to the man.

His records show, on the 23.9.1914 he was court martailed for shamefully casting away his arms in the face of the enemy, also using words calculated to create unnecessary alarm and dispondance. Sentenced to five years penal servitude, reduced to two years hard labour, later released on 6/8/1915 shot at Cambrai on 25/8/1915 later hit by shrapnel 26/7/1916.

I think he redeemed himself!

Hope tihs answers your question Andy

Regards

Brett

Douglas Haig commanded I Corps, France, in September 1914.