Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help if poss.

Desmond7

Cor - I'm feeling queasy already on this ocean wave lark ..

anyway ...

Can anyone with the required now how tell me if there was a sailor (possibly Irish) by the odd name of McIlmunn in WW1 service. Don't even know where to start!!

grog of that 'orrible stuff for prompt reply.

Get me back to the trenches quick .... :lol:

Welcome to the wet type water!

Registers of Seamen's Services are online from the National Archives giving all Royal Navy Sailors

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...amp;queryType=1

I couldn't find anyone with that spelling of name, but it's the same as MICs: sometimes the spelling the data entry people have used are inventive!

Offline at Kew the best thing I can suggest is that you look through the alphabetical medal rolls in ADM 171/109 (RN sailors), ADM 171/122 (Royal Naval Reserve, drawn from the merchant navy) and ADM 171/127 (Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve).

Des, according to CWGC no-one of that name died in any service during WW1. If there was more than one they must have been impervious to the nasty stuff.

Best wishes

David

Many thanks folks - I have a feeling the guy may have ended up being called 'McMullan' or 'Mullan' by some over worked scribe long-ago!

Having said that, I've been through FAAASANNDS of Ballymena and District names and this one does not spring out at me!