Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

trawler skippers

calvin

hello all, i know this might be a bit off line but can anyone tell me where the record for grimsby fisherman who served during both world wars is kept for their service as fishermen between the wars. thanks john baxter

John - Also if you are based in Grimsby, recommend you visit the North East Lincolnshire Archives. The Archives have an extensive range of records from Grimsby’s fishing industry that can be viewed in the reading room.

With the help of the Heritage Lottery Fund and with other costs met by the North East Lincolnshire Council, a database is being compiled for viewing on-line at any time free of charge at http://www.nelincs.gov.uk At present Crew Lists 1863 -1914 are partially complete but give vessels and skippers in most cases.

Archives Visitor Information

The archives can be consulted at the search room in Grimsby Town Hall.  Staff can provide advice on research and on the care of documents. Please note that space is limited, and you are advised to make an appointment to view the archives. Bookings can be made by email, post, telephone (01472-323585) or in person. Group visits to the Archives (maximum group size 10 persons), and introductory talks by the staff, can be arranged.

Opening Times

Monday - Thursday   9.30 am - 12.30pm, 1pm - 4pm 

Closed - Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holidays

Contact Details

Telephone Number (01472) 323585

Fax Number (01472) 323582

Email John.Wilson@nelincs.gov.uk

Cheers Terry

thankyou david i will do that, kind regards john

thankyou terry iam based in grimsby and will give them a visit, kind regards john

John,

There is a similair Database at Hull Archives if you think he sailed from Hull let me Know and I can check for you.

Regards Charles

hello charles, i really dont know, i lose him after the 1919 absent voters list and dont pick him up again until 1940 when he is listed as the c.o. of the hms glow which was a aberdeen built drifter converted to a minesweeper. it would not hurt to check. he was a grimsby fisherman though. thankyou again charles, kind regards john

Not sure if fishermen were covered by same registration procedures as merchant seamen but you could try

Southampton Archives Service

Civic Centre, Southampton, SO14 7LY

Tel: 023 8083 2251

city.archives@southampton.gov.uk

http://www.southampton.gov.uk/Libraries/In...ation/Archives/

(originals of Central Index Register of Seamen 1913-1941)

I also recall that the 'shipsnostalgia' forum set up a separate fisherman's forum

hello tom, thanks for that, i will try them, regards john