The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

My Granddads Brother!

cockney tone

Ladies & Gents,

Pal's,

not sure where to put this but wanted to 'remember' so 'Mods' please move if required.

In memory of my Grandfathers brother;

Driver George GRAINGER (Wollaston) Royal Field Artillery, No 1 Section. 4th Div. Ammunition Col. Killed by a shell 89 years ago today with four of his mates!

Driver W ANDERSON RFA

Driver S C LINEY RFA

Serjeant J W TAYLOR RFA

Driver GHIRANJI LAL Indian Royal Artillery.

Buried together Anzin St Aubin British Cemetery, France.

NOT FORGOTTEN RIP

Scottie.

Remembering them today.

Bernard

Buried together Anzin St Aubin British Cemetery, France.

NOT FORGOTTEN RIP

Scottie.

Not forgotten Scottie but,a wee bit seperated :unsure:

Heres the four lads together,

PICT3622.jpg& heres the other lad a bit further afield.Sad they did that.

PICT3632.jpgStill,this bloke made it into the rank & file,there are 3 other Indian guys all off in one corner.Loveley cemetary,this one.Built up area but,a really nice layout,

Dave.

Bernard,

thank you.

Dave,

thank you very much for posting the pictures, really chuffed and a wonderful gesture from you, thanks.

When i first visited George in about 1984 I did not know about the other four men, but obviously when i saw Georges Grave i noted the other three alongside and presumed they had died together.

About 10 years ago I took a couple of mates from work over on a trip, one of them is of Indian background, so out of interest we looked at the Indian graves and i was staggered to find one of them buried in the next row was killed the same day as George. Following it up I got the Batt records and it confirms all five killed together, 9 others wounded. (plus 14 mules killed and 6 of them injured!)

I thought it was really ironic that I was there with my Indian mate and George had died alongside his Indian Pal all those years before!

As for the other three Indian burials if I recall correctly they were originally buried in a nearby French Military Cemetery, when the French moved their men to a larger Cemetery after the War the Indian boys were moved into Anzin and thats why they ended up away from the original burials.

Anyway waffled on enough,

Thank you both again for helping me remember them,

Regards,

Scottie.

Well done Dave, fantastic response!

It never ceases to amaze me that Britain (in both World Wars) could rely on the 'Empire' to provide such sterling men, both from within the UK but also from India, NZ, Canada, Australia and New Zealand etc, etc. And could we have done what we did without them? (er, no)

Bernard

Hello Cockney Tone

Have just read your post and will remember your grandfathers brother and mates when I remember my gguncle every night at 11.00pm.

May all who died in WW1 rest in peace.

Sylvia

Driver George Grainger Royal Field Artillery and his Comrades In Arms.

Rest In Eternal Peace.

Remembered With Honour.

Terry W.

• 1 month later...

Scottie,

here,at last is what I was after for you,all those weeks ago.

Muriel at CWG Beaurains came through with the pages taken out of the visitors book.

Numriser0001.jpg

I know there isnt an address but,you could try yell.com or ask on here?

Sorry I didnt post an email but,lost your address :(

Dave.

ps,its the bottom 2,Butler.

Oh,Scottie,

you cant see it on the 1st scan but,I think from the note that the Butlers were there to see your mr.Grainger too.

Numriser0003.jpg

Dave,

thank you very much, after all the trouble you have gone to it appears the message was actually left by a friend and ex colleague of mine who is also a Pal on the Forum, Colin Poulter!

I feel a right fraud now getting you to follow this up, i really appreciate your efforts and the lady from the CWGC.

Sorry about this, regards and best wishes,

Scottie.

:rolleyes: Thats ok,Scottie.

I pass nr this place quite often(CWG too)so no probs :D

Dave.

Dave,

please do not go out of your way but if you are ever passing Muriel's office can you thank her for her efforts and the fantastic work they continue to do.

Regards,

Scottie.