Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Links to other Worthwhile websites?

Neil Clark

I wonder if someone knows of a list of quality Great War / WW2 links that I can cut and paste to a new website?

I know it's a bit lazy but perhaps someone has already done the hard work. If not then I might have a go myself and then place the list here for anyone to use in future.

I'm not too worried about the quality of links as these can be reviewed quite easily.

Thanking you all in anticipation...

Sorry I didn't know where to post this thread so I opted for "Chit Chat".

Neil

This site http://www.hcu.ox.ac.uk/jtap/ has a great resource for Wilfred Owen fans, but also a large collection of IWM photo's and audio of interviews with veterans.

Hi Neil,

You'll find my websites url in my signature below. If you go to my site look for the links page and thereon you will find lists of various websites that I use regularly or have used to construct my site. Many of the links on the page are leading to the sites run by GWF Pals who are far more modest than I am and would not hawk their site quite so shamelessly!

All the best,

Nigel :P

Hi Neil

I asked a similar question a few months ago, but understandably pals preferred not to single out websites set up by other forum members. But Borden Battery came up with a few! See

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...p;hl=favourites

cheers Martin B

I wonder if someone knows of a list of quality Great War / WW2 links that I can cut and paste to a new website?

I know it's a bit lazy but perhaps someone has already done the hard work.

Neil

Hmm - if you do indeed do this I hope you will give credit to whichever site you 'cut and paste' from. If not, this is nothing less than plagiarism, and there is quite enough of that on the net as it is. :(

It has taken me years to compile comprehensive links pages on my WW1 and WW2 sites; I would shiver at the thought of someone cutting and pasting the whole lot for a serious site, which I presume yours is?

I am beginning to doubt the value of links pages. The main search engines are now so good and so well updated that you can find much of what you seek within seconds. I find that a very high proportion of the more esoteric sites that would not get a high ranking on, say, Google, disappear within months of me adding them and frankly I have almost given up trying to keep up.

Thanks for the information above Lads.

Paul

Anyone for any reason is more than welcome to cut and paste MY links page once the site is up and running...That's the whole idea of the site.... free information for all...This includes all my research (4 years of fulltime work). Providing my website is mentioned clearly and prominently I have no problem whatsover with this. This includes photographs of the men and headstones.

I wouldn't nick someones research work but links, I would have no hesitation to do this...

I am honest enough to admit it whereas most go ahead and do it without telling anyone.

Actually having given it some thought, I think Chris has made a very good point. Google is now so quick it's often easier and quicker to use a search engine. Perhaps I shall not bother with a links page after all.

Thanks to all

Neil

Well, at least you are bold enough to admit it I suppose. Guess we will have to disagree on that one - your idea of plagiarism and mine are obviously different.

I will also have to disagree with Chris; my links page is one of the most frequently visited pages on both my main WW1 and WW2 sites, despite Google people seem to want a lead in looking for sites.

I agree with you Paul, Google and the others are all well and good if you know exactly what you want but there is something on everyones links page that you would never have thought of looking at unless you'd just come across it by accident.

I'll keep my links page, and add to it.

Regards,

Nigel